Re: [TopHive] Re: Brood and Honey Bar Sequence

  • Rafael Montag
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 16, 2010
      Thanks for the idea Caryn.  Chop-and-crop.  What a novel idea.  Sam Comfort told
      me that I would need a bunch of combs already in the hives so when I get my
      packages, the queen can start laying right away instead of waiting for the
      workers to make new comb.  Would this bee a good idea to get starter comb into
      the hives?  I tried looking for suppliers to sell me combs that I was thinking
      of wiring to new bars, but for the life of me I couldn't find any.  Does anybody
      know where I can order some?  Maybe even get some land frames and chop-and-crop
      if I knew where to get some.  I'd prefer to get some without foundation.  does
      anyone have any ideas?  How much should I expect to pay per Lang frame?

      ________________________________
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 17, 2010
        I would email Sam and ask him what he has in mind. It's his first year doing the package bee thing, I believe.
        Frankly, I wouldn't want comb from anyone who I didn't know. You risk adding who knows what disease problems not to mention the chemical laced comb.
        Package bees are trauma survivors normally put with a strange queen. I suppose they need whatever extra support they can get. Maybe getting Lang foundation and chop and crop would help? Personally, I would let them draw out their own comb.

        I have never done any of this before. I started studying all of this last June. Too late to get any bees! What a long wait! But I am glad because I would have ended up with some package of Itailian bees from the deep south that would never have survived in northern vermont.

        The organic bees group on yahoo is a great resource.
        Dennis Murrell's site has tons of info too.
        Then ther are the YouTube videos on topbar hives.
        There's tons of info.
        But I know until I start working with the ladies I won't really start the most important learning of all.