Brood and Honey Bar Sequence

  • rmontag48
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 13, 2010
      Hi Everyone. By introduction to the group, my name is Rafael montag, Raf to my friend, (rhymes with Giraffe) and I'm a newbee (no pun intended) to the bee culture. I got the bug this summer and have opted for top bar beekeeping because of the reported simplicity of building the hives and working the bees. I have built 2 hives, Inner Dimensions: 46.5" long, 11.25" deep, 13.5" upper width, and 4.5" lower width. I'll be getting my Russian queens from Sam Comfort in New York (Anarchy Apiaries), and workers locally here in Maryland (either Frederick or Montgomery County). In describing my hives to him, he pointed out that they're small, so I'm in the process of constructing 2 new ones that will be 4" wider in both lower and upper widths, so when all is said and done I', going to start out with 4 hives (yes, I know, It's not recommended, but hey, I always go overboard with whatever I do).

      My question is this: Is there any particular sequence as to the placement of the brood bars and the honey bars in the hive when introducing the queen and workers to the hive, or any random placement will do? I'm given to understand that in the beginning, a small number of bars sould be used with a follower bar in a small part of the hive to keep the bees working on a small part of the hive to build comb, and gradually give the bees more space as comb is built, but I'm a bit hazy as to the number and sequence of the bars (my bars are 1.25" - brood, and 1.5" - honey).
    • talktotheglock27
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 17, 2010
        I would email Sam and ask him what he has in mind. It's his first year doing the package bee thing, I believe.
        Frankly, I wouldn't want comb from anyone who I didn't know. You risk adding who knows what disease problems not to mention the chemical laced comb.
        Package bees are trauma survivors normally put with a strange queen. I suppose they need whatever extra support they can get. Maybe getting Lang foundation and chop and crop would help? Personally, I would let them draw out their own comb.

        I have never done any of this before. I started studying all of this last June. Too late to get any bees! What a long wait! But I am glad because I would have ended up with some package of Itailian bees from the deep south that would never have survived in northern vermont.

        The organic bees group on yahoo is a great resource.
        Dennis Murrell's site has tons of info too.
        Then ther are the YouTube videos on topbar hives.
        There's tons of info.
        But I know until I start working with the ladies I won't really start the most important learning of all.