Re: [TopHive] Re: how many hives ?

  • Joycelyn Kasmir
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 2010
      I was going to start with 1 top bar hive, but went with 2 so I could use
      one to help the other. It has worked so much better that way. I have
      moved brood and honey to support the weaker hive, more than once. And I
      am planning on pinching the queen in one hive and then giving the hive
      brood from the other to raise a new queen.

      Be sure that your hives match each other, or rather that the top bars
      and inside dimensions match each other. This makes "sharing" very easy.

      I think 3 hives is also a good number, for many of the reasons listed
      above. I choose to have only two, as one hive makes enough honey for our
      personal use, and it seems the second is meant for our friends.

      -Joycelyn Kasmir
      http://www.diamondjfarms.com/Bees/

      On 10/8/2010 1:29 PM, Dennis Blackner wrote:
      > Something to consider, is how many in a yard, before you become a regulated apiary. Here in TX, 5 or less and you are unregulated,6 or more and you have to register, etc. If you put them in other yards, you are free as long as no yard has more than 5
      > Dennis
      >

      > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "owlsplace"<owlsplace@...> wrote:
      >> --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Eric Rocher<eric.rocher11@> wrote:
      >>> Hi every one, I have a project for a small urban beekeeping business using
      >>> top bar hives and I wonder how many hives could I reasonably run since it is
      >>> very different from the Langstrot approach.
      >>> How often is it recommended to visit the hive during the year. thanks for
      >>> your input.
      >>> Eric
      >> reply:
      >> You may want to contact Sam Comfort with that question. http://anarchyapiaries.org/
      >> Roger

      - Joycelyn Kasmir
      www.DiamondJFarms.com
      Home of "Country Side" TB son of Secretariat
      and "Sparklin High Cotton" Cremello QH Grandson of Shining Spark