Re:Hive entrance

  • Charlie Koenen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2010
      I've got entrances on both the side and end... I've got colnies who
      are doing great witht he end entrance and like mentioned, they place
      pollen and honey in the first bar, then brood followed by their food
      stores. Yes they have a long way to go to get to the stores, but
      thats what bees do... when foragers enter the hive he pass the
      nectar/pollen to house bees (bee kissing) and this happens several
      times en route to the comb.

      The side entrances are easier to work as you can sit across from the
      entrance and observe their flight patterns.... but in several hives,
      they've ALSO begun using the end entrances... beginning with just a
      few that respond to the waggle dance and ending with a larger
      proportion. In some instances, the bees eventually prefer the end
      entrance but not every time.

      On issue I see with side entrances is that the bees sometimes end up
      splitting their food stores to either side while keeping the brood
      ball in the center... just means you gotta shift some bars for winter.

      Guess I'd prefer an end entrance to a side.
    • owlsplace
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2010
        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Blackner" <dennisblackner@...> wrote:

        > I am building a number of tbh and cannot find a consensus on entrance locations. Is there any benefit to side entrance vs end? Does the end entrance promote better organization within the hive? It seems like the bees might like going only one way in(straight back), instead of having to choose right or left upon entering the hive. Who is the beetalker here that can ask their girls?
        > Dennis

        You can do both and they will propolize the ones they don't want. I like to make mine the size of wine corks so I can block them if I want. Chandler seems to like side entrances on both ends so he can use a divider board and use the box for two colonies. He may also have used a center entrance so he could regulate box size with two divider boards. Lot's of options. Mine are end plus top or just end entrances. I have used top side (3/8") and bottom end on my small boxes. They generally use the end entrance.
        Roger