Hive construction

  • Dennis Blackner
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2010
      I am building my own hives, and am wondering if anyone has any insights on using Aromatic cedar for the box. It is the stuff used in cedar closets/chests to stop bugs/moths from harming cloths. I have some that I would like to use to build a large box, but don't want to waste it if it will bother the bees.
    • owlsplace
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Blackner" <dennisblackner@...> wrote:

        > I am building my own hives, and am wondering if anyone has any insights on using Aromatic cedar for the box. It is the stuff used in cedar closets/chests to stop bugs/moths from harming cloths. I have some that I would like to use to build a large box, but don't want to waste it if it will bother the bees.

        reply:
        I think the consensus is that cedar is not stable enough and pine is a much better choice.
        Roger
      • Dennis Blackner
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
          Well, from a purely wood point of view, Cedar is much more stable than pine. It has a lower tendency to warp, and is many times more decay resistant. I am only considering using it because it is sitting in my shop gathering dust, otherwise, cost would definitely dictate that I use pine.
          Dennis

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "owlsplace" <owlsplace@...> wrote:

          > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Blackner" <dennisblackner@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am building my own hives, and am wondering if anyone has any insights on using Aromatic cedar for the box. It is the stuff used in cedar closets/chests to stop bugs/moths from harming cloths. I have some that I would like to use to build a large box, but don't want to waste it if it will bother the bees.
          > >

          > reply:
          > I think the consensus is that cedar is not stable enough and pine is a much better choice.
          > Roger

        • owlsplace
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2010
            --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Blackner" <dennisblackner@...> wrote:

            > Well, from a purely wood point of view, Cedar is much more stable than pine. It has a lower tendency to warp, and is many times more decay resistant. I am only considering using it because it is sitting in my shop gathering dust, otherwise, cost would definitely dictate that I use pine.
            > Dennis

            Give it a go then. I've heard it dries and splits easily limiting its useful lifespan.
            Roger