New Guy

  • thisis
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 4, 2010
      I am new to this forum and beekeeping -- I have a few hives. I started a top bar hive after reading some of Sam Comforts material from Anarchy Apiaries...

      Question -- I started a top bar from a hive a recovered from a old farmhouse. I have been rescuing feral hives from trees, houses, etc. in my local area. The hive was recently established in this wall so I cut the comb and tied their comb onto the top bars to help them get established in my box. I gave them a couple days to settle in and went to check them today, to see if the comb was intact and freshly attached to the top bar -- the first on was, the second was attached to the bottom of the box, and also to the third. Oh, now what do I do, how do I gracefully detach the comb, and "train" them to do it right.

      Was putting their original comb in there a bad idea -- it was pretty full of brood so I wanted the little girls to make it...I am assuming the new bars they are starting will be to correct form.

      Any help would be appreciated. Yonah -- Ithaca, NY
    • owlsplace
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 4, 2010
        Tying up comb in a topbar hive is difficult at best. All my topbars are designed to take Lang frames so I can just put comb on a wired frame and use rubber bands to hold it in place. Alternately you can use swarm frames. I have taped comb on topbars with some success. I have heard of sewing it on but haven't tried that. And also using cloth strips around the bottom of the comb and lacing. Wired Lang frames or swarm frames are so much easier.
        Good luck,
        Roger
        Eastern Sierra NV

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "thisis" <yonahlandsittel@...> wrote:

        > I am new to this forum and beekeeping -- I have a few hives. I started a top bar hive after reading some of Sam Comforts material from Anarchy Apiaries...
        >
        > Question -- I started a top bar from a hive a recovered from a old farmhouse. I have been rescuing feral hives from trees, houses, etc. in my local area. The hive was recently established in this wall so I cut the comb and tied their comb onto the top bars to help them get established in my box. I gave them a couple days to settle in and went to check them today, to see if the comb was intact and freshly attached to the top bar -- the first on was, the second was attached to the bottom of the box, and also to the third. Oh, now what do I do, how do I gracefully detach the comb, and "train" them to do it right.
        >
        > Was putting their original comb in there a bad idea -- it was pretty full of brood so I wanted the little girls to make it...I am assuming the new bars they are starting will be to correct form.
        >
        > Any help would be appreciated. Yonah -- Ithaca, NY

      • James Zitting
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 4, 2010
          You can gently cut the comb from the sides and bottom with your hive tool,
          and they will usually not reattach it. Make sure the comb is right side up.

          James A Zitting

          www.beelanding.com

          Become a fan of my facebook Page!
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1465338161#!/pages/Bee-Landing/380313
          103678?ref=ts

[...]

          13:35:00

        • Michael Vanecek
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
            I documented a cut-out I did that utilized strips of cloth to support
            the comb around the edge - it made a huge difference in keeping the comb
            tighter to the top-bar where the bees were able to secure it:

            http://bees.taroandti.com/2008/06/09/second-cutout/

            Hope that helps.

            Be well,
            Mike

            --
            Zone 8, Texas
            http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plant Info and More...

            On 07/04/2010 08:43 PM, thisis wrote:
            > I am new to this forum and beekeeping -- I have a few hives. I started a top bar hive after reading some of Sam Comforts material from Anarchy Apiaries...
            >
            > Question -- I started a top bar from a hive a recovered from a old farmhouse. I have been rescuing feral hives from trees, houses, etc. in my local area. The hive was recently established in this wall so I cut the comb and tied their comb onto the top bars to help them get established in my box. I gave them a couple days to settle in and went to check them today, to see if the comb was intact and freshly attached to the top bar -- the first on was, the second was attached to the bottom of the box, and also to the third. Oh, now what do I do, how do I gracefully detach the comb, and "train" them to do it right.
            >
            > Was putting their original comb in there a bad idea -- it was pretty full of brood so I wanted the little girls to make it...I am assuming the new bars they are starting will be to correct form.
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated. Yonah -- Ithaca, NY

          • kebtree
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "thisis" <yonahlandsittel@...> wrote:

              > I am new to this forum and beekeeping -- I have a few hives. I started a top bar hive after reading some of Sam Comforts material from Anarchy Apiaries...
              >
              > Question -- I started a top bar from a hive a recovered from a old farmhouse. I have been rescuing feral hives from trees, houses, etc. in my local area. The hive was recently established in this wall so I cut the comb and tied their comb onto the top bars to help them get established in my box. I gave them a couple days to settle in and went to check them today, to see if the comb was intact and freshly attached to the top bar -- the first on was, the second was attached to the bottom of the box, and also to the third. Oh, now what do I do, how do I gracefully detach the comb, and "train" them to do it right.
              >
              > Was putting their original comb in there a bad idea -- it was pretty full of brood so I wanted the little girls to make it...I am assuming the new bars they are starting will be to correct form.
              >
              > Any help would be appreciated. Yonah -- Ithaca, NY

              You need a couple of Removable Swarm Catching Frames that fit your hive. Plans can be found here:

              http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yourself/removeable-swarm-catching-frames/

              Kent
            • tomzboxathotmaildotcom
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
                --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "thisis" <yonahlandsittel@...> wrote:
                > .... Oh, now what do I do, how do I gracefully detach the comb, and "train" them to do it right.
                >
                > Was putting their original comb in there a bad idea -- it was pretty full of brood so I wanted the little girls to make it...I am assuming the new bars they are starting will be to correct form.
                >
                > Any help would be appreciated. Yonah -- Ithaca, NY

                Yonah,

                Relax. It's okay the way it is. You've done well - it was a good idea! Live with two crooked top bar combs for the next few weeks. You have what, another 20+ or so top bars where they will even things out? The main thing is that you "rescued" locally adapted feral bees and gave them a safe place to reproduce.

                If they are making straight comb on the rest of your top bars, just let them be until in the normal course of events you can remove the wild comb. If you absolutely HAVE to do something about the two combs right away, James's suggestions are the way to go. You can also - within reason - bend the comb or slice it off a bit if you have to. But you don't have to, it sounds like. The way they sit right now is "correct form" enough for your little gals to get those brood grown up.

                The NEXT time, use Mike V's techniques or build some swarm-catching top bars/frames. Successful approaches have been documented using strips of cloth or tying with twine, twist-ties, thread, wire, rubber bands, or zip ties.

                good luck (and welcome!)

                Tom Warren
                Pleasant Hill, OR
                http://awholenotherbeeblog.blogspot.com/
              • elegans@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
                  Hi Tom et al!

                  George here down or up in San Francisco Bay area ( depending on how you
                  look at map...) Any hoot, I recently installed a TBH in late May. I used a bee
                  lure which I purchased from a woman at our local Beekeep assn. She
                  concocted it. I had experimented a few days before with the lure, putting a drop
                  or two on a piece of paper towel. And within minutes there were bees buzzing
                  about looking for the source. We hadn't seen any bees in our yard nearly
                  all spring. So hive was put into location on May 23 with a few drops at back
                  of TBH. two of the days, Tuesday and Thursday were rainy here, so no
                  action to bee seen. Friday I observed a few bees at the entrance of hive. At
                  sundown I opened the hive to look around and nothing, no bees. Saturday may 29
                  again bees at entrance, but a few more this time. At sunset I opened the
                  top of hive and bees literally came pouring out the top. I gently put the
                  top back on and opened the window to take a look, and a hive in the shape of
                  a cut in half basket ball was hanging from the top. Within a few days we
                  were able to see the comb being built through the mass of bees and here it is
                  July 5th and the colony, small as it is with 7 built combs is plugging
                  along.
                  We're very much in favor of housing feral wild bees for the fact that
                  perhaps they have developed disease resistance and that they simply need a home.
                  Also they have adapted with whatever genetic mix( Russian, Italian etc)
                  that folks have been using here in SF bay Area. Thrilled by it all of course!

                  George
                  No. Cal.

                • James Zitting
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
                    Someone sent in a picture of a big hair clip connected to the bottom of the
                    top bar. You just opened the clip and clamped them to the comb. There was
                    two per top bar, so the bees could build in around and connect to the top
                    bar and then you could remove the clips.

                    Does anyone know where that link is?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
                      Hey great story!

                      Do you know what the concoction is?

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 5, 2010
                        The hair clip is a new one on me but here is a video showing the technique:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myBsToAMnNk
                        Roger
                        Eastern Sierra NV

                        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "James Zitting" <james@...> wrote:

                        > Someone sent in a picture of a big hair clip connected to the bottom of the
                        > top bar. You just opened the clip and clamped them to the comb. There was
                        > two per top bar, so the bees could build in around and connect to the top
                        > bar and then you could remove the clips.
                        >
                        > Does anyone know where that link is?
                        >

                        > James A Zitting
                        >

                        > www.beelanding.com
                        >

                        > Become a fan of my facebook Page!
                        > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1465338161#!/pages/Bee-Landing/380313
                        > 103678?ref=ts

                      • thisis
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 6, 2010
                          Very interesting...Thanks for all the response -- I think they are doing well. I am going to let them go establish more new comb on the other bars and go back and work with what is in there now that is attached...

                          The hair clip, interesting....

                          Thanks Again -- Eric

                          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "owlsplace" <owlsplace@...> wrote:

                          > The hair clip is a new one on me but here is a video showing the technique:
                          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myBsToAMnNk
                          > Roger
                          > Eastern Sierra NV
                          >
                          > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "James Zitting" <james@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Someone sent in a picture of a big hair clip connected to the bottom of the
                          > > top bar. You just opened the clip and clamped them to the comb. There was
                          > > two per top bar, so the bees could build in around and connect to the top
                          > > bar and then you could remove the clips.
                          > >
                          > > Does anyone know where that link is?
                          > >

                          > > James A Zitting
                          > >

                          > > www.beelanding.com
                          > >

                          > > Become a fan of my facebook Page!
                          > > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1465338161#!/pages/Bee-Landing/380313
                          > > 103678?ref=ts

                        • James Zitting
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 6, 2010
                            When I have a comb I don't like, I usually mark the top of the bar, and
                            slowly work it to the end to be culled when I harvest the honey.

                            Zitting" <james@> wrote:

                            > > Someone sent in a picture of a big hair clip connected to the bottom of
                            the
                            > > top bar. You just opened the clip and clamped them to the comb. There
                            was
                            > > two per top bar, so the bees could build in around and connect to the
                            top
                            > > bar and then you could remove the clips.
                            > >
                            > > Does anyone know where that link is?
                            > >

                            > > James A Zitting
                            > >

                            > > www.beelanding.com
                            > >

                            > > Become a fan of my facebook Page!
                            > > http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1465338161#
                            <http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1465338161>
                            !/pages/Bee-Landing/380313
                            > > 103678?ref=ts
                            > >

                            > > From: TopHive@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TopHive%40yahoogroups.com>
                            <mailto:TopHive%40yahoogroups.com> , "thisis"
                            > > <yonahlandsittel@> wrote:
                            > > > .... Oh, now what do I do, how do I gracefully detach the comb, and
                            > > "train" them to do it right.
                            > > >
                            > > > Was putting their original comb in there a bad idea -- it was pretty
                            full
                            > > of brood so I wanted the little girls to make it...I am assuming the new
                            > > bars they are starting will be to correct form.
                            > > >
                            > > > Any help would be appreciated. Yonah -- Ithaca, NY
                            > >
                            > > Yonah,
                            > >
                            > > Relax. It's okay the way it is. You've done well - it was a good idea!
                            Live
                            > > with two crooked top bar combs for the next few weeks. You have what,
                            > > another 20+ or so top bars where they will even things out? The main
                            thing
                            > > is that you "rescued" locally adapted feral bees and gave them a safe
                            place
                            > > to reproduce.
                            > >
                            > > If they are making straight comb on the rest of your top bars, just let
                            them
                            > > be until in the normal course of events you can remove the wild comb. If
                            you
                            > > absolutely HAVE to do something about the two combs right away, James's
                            > > suggestions are the way to go. You can also - within reason - bend the
                            comb
                            > > or slice it off a bit if you have to. But you don't have to, it sounds
                            like.
                            > > The way they sit right now is "correct form" enough for your little gals
                            > > get those brood grown up.
                            > >
                            > > The NEXT time, use Mike V's techniques or build some swarm-catching top
                            > > bars/frames. Successful approaches have been documented using strips of
                            > > cloth or tying with twine, twist-ties, thread, wire, rubber bands, or
                            zip
                            > > ties.
                            > >
                            > > good luck (and welcome!)
                            > >
                            > > Tom Warren