Re: [TopHive] Re: Bees here today gone tomorrow

  • Michael Vanecek
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2010
      I would have expected more comb but for the fact that they got
      interrupted by the windstorm and the time it took for the stragglers to
      make it back home, and they may have spent some time trying to get the
      queen to come out of the queen-excluder covered the entrance to go
      elsewhere. Now that they've settled in on that hive as home it looks
      like they're getting ready to do some serious building. One top-bar has
      a nice comb being developed and there's serious festooning on another
      top-bar and minor festooning on three or four top-bars on the other side
      so it looks like several combs will come down pretty soon. The bars that
      came off in the wind were in the center and it looks like the main
      cluster was at the back so I'm hopeful that the queen was preserved. The
      bees that were lost temporarily were those that left thru the missing
      top-bars to see what was up and got blown downwind. It looks like they
      made their way home - I would wager that most of the package is back at
      the hive and working. Of course, it's also possible that when she saw
      just a tiny cluster, most of the bees were hanging on a branch waiting
      for the queen and finally returned to to the hive to get back to
      business making comb. Either way, I would have to say a big WHEW. I did
      grab the empty package-box just in case I need to shake a couple frames
      of bees into it but I don't think it'll be necessary - in a couple of
      weeks I expect to see several combs with brood.

      Be well,
      Mike

      --
      Zone 8, Texas