winter brood management

  • acornjean
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 21, 2005
      Hello all,
      I am needing to winterize my frames and need some experienced folks to guide me. I
      have 2 tbhs new this past spring. They are rocking out but I have learned how to
      winterize for my langs but don't see how to do it for my long hives. The person who
      teaches me how to improve my langs is also curious how i will do spring management
      too because there are no brood boxes to switch. My climate is milder than most,
      north of San Fran, so we have very wet winters and losts of frost but still have flowers.
      I love my top bars and have even gotten one small cell hive in a lang by offering only
      top starter strips. I love the look of the comb on the top bar hives and the ease on
      my old back. They are so much more fun to work with.
      acornjean
    • David McDonald
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 21, 2005
        I would guess that in a northern CA climate, no winterization would be
        needed. Where are you, exactly? I'm from Mendocino County,
        originally.

        As for spring management, the main trick, in my experience, is keeping
        the broodnest from getting constrained when the bees are doing their
        spring buildup. So I move any bars of honey away from the brood comb,
        in the early spring, and add bars to the brood area as needed to give
        them room to expand. There are different notions about where the new
        bars should go--on the outside of the nest, or towards the middle....

        On 10/21/05, acornjean <jwheel@...> wrote:
        > Hello all,
        > I am needing to winterize my frames and need some experienced folks to guide me. I
        > have 2 tbhs new this past spring. They are rocking out but I have learned how to
        > winterize for my langs but don't see how to do it for my long hives. The person who
        > teaches me how to improve my langs is also curious how i will do spring management
        > too because there are no brood boxes to switch. My climate is milder than most,
        > north of San Fran, so we have very wet winters and losts of frost but still have flowers.
        > I love my top bars and have even gotten one small cell hive in a lang by offering only
        > top starter strips. I love the look of the comb on the top bar hives and the ease on
        > my old back. They are so much more fun to work with.
        > acornjean

        David McDonald
        Santa Fe, NM
      • Paul Rowland
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 21, 2005
          I would be most concerned about the moisture. Keep the bottom of the hive as
          dry as possible. Plug any holes, cracks, et cetera. However, make sure that
          there is top ventilation. The same would apply for the Langstroth.

          On 10/21/05, acornjean <jwheel@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          > I am needing to winterize my frames and need some experienced folks to
          > guide me. I
          > have 2 tbhs new this past spring. They are rocking out but I have learned
          > how to
          > winterize for my langs but don't see how to do it for my long hives. The
          > person who
          > teaches me how to improve my langs is also curious how i will do spring
          > management
          > too because there are no brood boxes to switch. My climate is milder than
          > most,
          > north of San Fran, so we have very wet winters and losts of frost but
          > still have flowers.
          > I love my top bars and have even gotten one small cell hive in a lang by
          > offering only
          > top starter strips. I love the look of the comb on the top bar hives and
          > the ease on
          > my old back. They are so much more fun to work with.
          > acornjean

          > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at

        • acornjean
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 21, 2005
            David,
            Thanks for the response.
            I am in Napa County. I feel I do need to winterize to make sure the colony has access
            to the honey stores to survive the winter. If the honey becomes too far away they
            won't be able to get into the cap if it is all too cold. I think they need to refill the
            empty brood cells with honey close by to get thru the cold times.
            By summer I felt I needed a longer hive because the colony was so big and wanting to
            swarm. How long is the longest hive anyone has used successfully?
            acornjean

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 21, 2005
              Paul,
              I know that moiture is a big problemfor me. My hives are protected from sun in the
              summer with a small grove of bamboo to the west and it also keeps some of the
              winter wind off but also keeps it shaded in the winter. I always have moisture issues
              and keep changing my vent holes, cover insulation and cover material to solve the
              problems. I can see that I have water in the summer too and we have NO rain all
              summer so it is from the hive maoisure. I can see it on my screen bottom board. I
              had a styrofoam sheet above and then below a metal and then a wood cover on my
              long tbh and still have moisture.
              There are lots of holes along the top and the lid is tilted off which must be a robbing
              issue for them but still isn't venting off the summer hive water (not rain).
              For winter where we have a lot of rain I need to get it figured out.
              All my hives have top vents, but maybe I need more of them.
              acornjean

              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Paul Rowland <honeybeekeeper@g...> wrote:

              > I would be most concerned about the moisture. Keep the bottom of the hive as
              > dry as possible. Plug any holes, cracks, et cetera. However, make sure that
              > there is top ventilation. The same would apply for the Langstroth.
              >
              > On 10/21/05, acornjean <jwheel@i...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello all,
              > > I am needing to winterize my frames and need some experienced folks to
              > > guide me. I
              > > have 2 tbhs new this past spring. They are rocking out but I have learned
              > > how to
            • Carolyn Chaney
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 23, 2005
                A friend of mine has topbar hives with no bottom board, just hardware
                cloth in the bottom of his hives. He has no problems with cold, and you
                are right, moisture is a bigger problem than winterizing here in Northern
                CA. In the spring I am going to take out my bottom boards and go with
                hardware cloth too.

                Carolyn Chaney
                Redwood City, CA

                "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
                --Mary Oliver

                On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Paul Rowland wrote:

                > I would be most concerned about the moisture. Keep the bottom of the hive
                > as
                > dry as possible. Plug any holes, cracks, et cetera. However, make sure
                > that
                > there is top ventilation. The same would apply for the Langstroth.
                >
                > On 10/21/05, acornjean <jwheel@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello all,
                > > I am needing to winterize my frames and need some experienced folks to
                > > guide me. I
                > > have 2 tbhs new this past spring. They are rocking out but I have
                > learned
                > > how to
                > > winterize for my langs but don't see how to do it for my long hives.
                > The
                > > person who
                > > teaches me how to improve my langs is also curious how i will do spring
                > > management
                > > too because there are no brood boxes to switch. My climate is milder
                > than
                > > most,
                > > north of San Fran, so we have very wet winters and losts of frost but
                > > still have flowers.
                > > I love my top bars and have even gotten one small cell hive in a lang
                > by
                > > offering only
                > > top starter strips. I love the look of the comb on the top bar hives
                > and
                > > the ease on
                > > my old back. They are so much more fun to work with.
                > > acornjean
                > >

                > > The group archive and other pages can be accessed at
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive
                > >
                > > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
                > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

                > w3=Beekeeping+supplies&c=3&s=50&.sig=m4KNMv3IRfo2_DZpVpohRQ>
                > >Tbh<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Tbh&w1=Beekeeping&w2=Tbh&w3=Beekeeping+
                > supplies&c=3&s=50&.sig=u23yUtWfRH2piwunLqLhug> Beekeeping
                > >supplies<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Beekeeping+supplies&w1=Beekeeping&
                > w2=Tbh&w3=Beekeeping+supplies&c=3&s=50&.sig=NPL_mzt6h8TxRtp1HX87XA>

                > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at

              • P.H. Rankin Hansen
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005
                  On Friday 21 October 2005 19:49, acornjean wrote:

                  > I am needing to winterize my frames

                  You will not need to do a lot to winterize them, but come spring (no thaw, I
                  guess), you should prevent moisture from entering the hive from beneath.

                  I have open screen boottoms in all my hives that I close with a slide-i board
                  in spring. The board keeps most of the moisture away.

                  Another thing I have done, is to place my hives on cement (cannot remember the
                  English word: big "tiles"). This not only keeps moisture down, but also weeds
                  away from the hive (important, as there are a lot of ants in the vicinity).

                  When the worst of the humidity is gone and the family is looking good, I
                  remove the boards again.

                  Ping.

                  venlig hilsen / best regards

                  P.H. Rankin Hansen
                  Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
                  DK-8740 Brædstrup
                  (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

                  --

                  Ping.

                  P.H. Rankin Hansen
                  Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
                  DK-8740 Brædstrup
                  Tlf: 2211 9611
                • jwheel@interx.net
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 25, 2005
                    > guess), you should prevent moisture from entering the hive from
                    > beneath.
                    >
                    > I have open screen boottoms in all my hives that I close with a
                    > slide-i board
                    > in spring. The board keeps most of the moisture away.

                    I have been thinking about using open screen bottoms. I already have
                    sturdy screened bottoms with a sliding plastic tray for viewing the
                    dropping debris and am considering removing the tray to allow the
                    debris and mites to drop to the ground.

                    My winters are very wet and I am wondering if the open bottom will
                    allow more moisture in from water evaporating near the hive into the
                    hive or less moisture because of the air circulation and drying of
                    water on the inside walls.

                    Are others using open bottoms in your hives with wet seasons?

                    acorn