Re: Best place to get bees for a begining beekeeper in Reno, NV?

  • owlsplace
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
      Thanks, Chris.
      I am clueless on how to do this at the moment. Any direction?
      Roger in the Sierra Nevadas

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lovett <calovett@...> wrote:

      > Make some swarm/bait hives, add a few drops of lemongrass oil and set them
      > out 6 to 8 feet off the ground.
      >
      > Good Luck!
      > Chris Lovett

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
        Roger
        If you are willing to make another hive and bring to fallon i will see if i can put a swarm in it. i have two swarms promised in head of you and some times i loose them and the weather is not bee friendly this year but i think there is a good chance you'd get a swarm. PM me if you are interested.
        my bees are in Warre hives and usually swarm alot.
        chris ;o)

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "owlsplace" <owlsplace@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I finished constructing my first top bar hive. Now I need some bees. It is still early here in the Reno, NV area and the weather is on the cool side.
        > Any suggestions on where to get bees?
        > Roger

      • Chris Lovett
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
          the quickest and easiest, set up your new TBH as a bait hive. I just make
          boxes out of 3/8 plywood, that have the same volume as a deep lang super.
          add some old black comb(if available) and lemongrass oil. Some beeks make a
          half tbh or a nuc tbh and set them out.

          On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM, owlsplace <owlsplace@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Chris.
          > I am clueless on how to do this at the moment. Any direction?
          > Roger in the Sierra Nevadas
          >

          > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com <TopHive%40yahoogroups.com>, Chris Lovett
          > <calovett@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Make some swarm/bait hives, add a few drops of lemongrass oil and set
          > them
          > > out 6 to 8 feet off the ground.
          > >
          > > Good Luck!
          > > Chris Lovett

        • tomzboxathotmaildotcom
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
            --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "owlsplace" <owlsplace@...> wrote:

            > Greetings,
            > I finished constructing my first top bar hive. Now I need some bees. It is still early here in the Reno, NV area and the weather is on the cool side.
            > Any suggestions on where to get bees?
            > Roger

            Roger,

            Check these two places and get on the swarm lists.

            http://www.nevadabee.com/Contact_info.html
            http://www.cadpestcontrol.com/Design/Assets/PDF_files/Swarm_List.pdf

            Talk to Bill Goff and join the beek association. They'll help you get some bees.

            best,
            Tom Warren
            Pleasant Hill, OR
            http://awholenotherbeeblog.blogspot.com/
          • owlsplace
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
              Thanks, Tom.
              Bill and company are meeting tonight. I'll see if I can get over there.
              Roger in NV

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                Thanks, Chris.
                Message in the mail to you. Will put a nuc together asap.
                Roger in Reno, NV

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                  The closest I know of Reno is Sacramento.
                  http://www.sacbeekeepers.org/
                  http://www.sacramentobeekeeping.com/
                  Sorry.

                  Lemon grass oil from a health foods store.
                  A few drops inside, and set your hive up 5-15 feet.
                  Garage roof, maybe? A ladder against a house?
                  Once they're there for a cpl weeks, you can move
                  them some eve. Think you renew the drops at
                  a lower rate, maybe 1 drop a week???

                • vtuite
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                    > Any suggestions on where to get bees?
                    > Roger

                    Randy Oliver sells nucs and packages in Grass Valley CA. He's given talks at our club and he's very knowledgeable.

                    http://www.scientificbeekeeping.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=37
                  • owlsplace
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                      Yes, I hear Randy is a good source. I was hoping to get bees from our side of the hill but I will visit Randy if I don't have any luck with that.
                      Roger at Steamboat Springs, NV

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                        I used to have some lemongrass oil around but I think I used it in an infuser. I will get some more.
                        Thanks,
                        Roger