Best place to get bees for a begining beekeeper in Reno, NV?

  • Chris Lovett
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
      Make some swarm/bait hives, add a few drops of lemongrass oil and set them
      out 6 to 8 feet off the ground.

      Good Luck!
      Chris Lovett

    • owlsplace
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
        Thanks, Chris.
        I am clueless on how to do this at the moment. Any direction?
        Roger in the Sierra Nevadas

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lovett <calovett@...> wrote:

        > Make some swarm/bait hives, add a few drops of lemongrass oil and set them
        > out 6 to 8 feet off the ground.
        >
        > Good Luck!
        > Chris Lovett

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
          Roger
          If you are willing to make another hive and bring to fallon i will see if i can put a swarm in it. i have two swarms promised in head of you and some times i loose them and the weather is not bee friendly this year but i think there is a good chance you'd get a swarm. PM me if you are interested.
          my bees are in Warre hives and usually swarm alot.
          chris ;o)

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "owlsplace" <owlsplace@...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          > I finished constructing my first top bar hive. Now I need some bees. It is still early here in the Reno, NV area and the weather is on the cool side.
          > Any suggestions on where to get bees?
          > Roger

        • Chris Lovett
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
            the quickest and easiest, set up your new TBH as a bait hive. I just make
            boxes out of 3/8 plywood, that have the same volume as a deep lang super.
            add some old black comb(if available) and lemongrass oil. Some beeks make a
            half tbh or a nuc tbh and set them out.

            On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM, owlsplace <owlsplace@...> wrote:

            > Thanks, Chris.
            > I am clueless on how to do this at the moment. Any direction?
            > Roger in the Sierra Nevadas
            >

            > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com <TopHive%40yahoogroups.com>, Chris Lovett
            > <calovett@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Make some swarm/bait hives, add a few drops of lemongrass oil and set
            > them
            > > out 6 to 8 feet off the ground.
            > >
            > > Good Luck!
            > > Chris Lovett

          • tomzboxathotmaildotcom
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "owlsplace" <owlsplace@...> wrote:

              > Greetings,
              > I finished constructing my first top bar hive. Now I need some bees. It is still early here in the Reno, NV area and the weather is on the cool side.
              > Any suggestions on where to get bees?
              > Roger

              Roger,

              Check these two places and get on the swarm lists.

              http://www.nevadabee.com/Contact_info.html
              http://www.cadpestcontrol.com/Design/Assets/PDF_files/Swarm_List.pdf

              Talk to Bill Goff and join the beek association. They'll help you get some bees.

              best,
              Tom Warren
              Pleasant Hill, OR
              http://awholenotherbeeblog.blogspot.com/
            • owlsplace
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                Thanks, Tom.
                Bill and company are meeting tonight. I'll see if I can get over there.
                Roger in NV

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                  Thanks, Chris.
                  Message in the mail to you. Will put a nuc together asap.
                  Roger in Reno, NV

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                    The closest I know of Reno is Sacramento.
                    http://www.sacbeekeepers.org/
                    http://www.sacramentobeekeeping.com/
                    Sorry.

                    Lemon grass oil from a health foods store.
                    A few drops inside, and set your hive up 5-15 feet.
                    Garage roof, maybe? A ladder against a house?
                    Once they're there for a cpl weeks, you can move
                    them some eve. Think you renew the drops at
                    a lower rate, maybe 1 drop a week???

                  • vtuite
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                      > Any suggestions on where to get bees?
                      > Roger

                      Randy Oliver sells nucs and packages in Grass Valley CA. He's given talks at our club and he's very knowledgeable.

                      http://www.scientificbeekeeping.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=37
                    • owlsplace
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                        Yes, I hear Randy is a good source. I was hoping to get bees from our side of the hill but I will visit Randy if I don't have any luck with that.
                        Roger at Steamboat Springs, NV

                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 12, 2010
                          I used to have some lemongrass oil around but I think I used it in an infuser. I will get some more.
                          Thanks,
                          Roger