Top-bar hive discussion list

  • PingHansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12 11:59 PM
      Hi Leonard, Bill, and John

      (I left Steve out because his mail bounces)

      In order to facilitate our discussion of top-bar hives, I have
      created this discussion list.

      It is ours to do with as we wish, at the price of a small, non
      obtrusive add the bottom of each message.

      In order to prevent the spread of computer vira through this list, I
      have swicthed off the ability to attach files to messages sent to
      this list.

      This is no big loss, as there is both an area for sharing photos and
      one for sharing other files. In order to use the group facilities
      (other than the list itself), those of you that do not have an Yahoo-
      ID should consider getting one - just remember to uncheck all those
      boxes that say yes to receiving this and that information.

      best regards

      Ping.
    • Leonard and Anita Barton
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13 11:21 AM
        MAIL LIST:

        Steve: Let me know when you can recieve the list and I will stop copying to
        you.

        I forwarded to steve. Thanks for setting up the list - good idea to kill the
        attachments.

        If his mail bounces from you please look for "open relay" in the return
        message. An open relay allows spammers to use sendmail to send spam
        (blindly) to all on the mailserver's list. My company had this problem and I
        recieved spam through it until I complained to Earthlink, which then bounced
        all mail from that server until it was fixed. (Our system administrator did
        not appreciate that as he had told me I should learn to live with spam, but
        it was a great motivator for him to fix it as he could not send to anyone at
        Earthlink.)

        What benefit do I gain by getting a Yahoo ID?

        TOPBARS:

        I highly recommend adding one or more vertical drops from the bar - I am
        using high impact polystyrene strips - 1" (25mm) wide, aligned with the bar
        axis. If spaced properly the bees start their comb between the drops and
        then embed them.

        I moved my hive to a local garden club to help with polination. After moving
        I did an inspection. I had not brought my long bread knife to clear
        attachments to the side. on one old wooden bar I had more that the usual
        attachment and when I lifted the bar the comb tore horizontally exactly at
        the transition between honey stores and polen stores. Fortunately there was
        no brood on either side so it is now in the freezer ready to help a new
        swarm get started. As for the honey - yum, yum! It filled one 8 oz and one
        12 oz container with comb and is far superior to store bought.

        Leonard.

        > From: "PingHansen" <ping@...>
        > Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 07:59:32 -0000
        > To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [TopHive] Top-bar hive discussion list
        >
        > Hi Leonard, Bill, and John
        >
        > (I left Steve out because his mail bounces)
        >
        > In order to facilitate our discussion of top-bar hives, I have
        > created this discussion list.
        >
        > It is ours to do with as we wish, at the price of a small, non
        > obtrusive add the bottom of each message.
        >
        > In order to prevent the spread of computer vira through this list, I
        > have swicthed off the ability to attach files to messages sent to
        > this list.
        >
        > This is no big loss, as there is both an area for sharing photos and
        > one for sharing other files. In order to use the group facilities
        > (other than the list itself), those of you that do not have an Yahoo-
        > ID should consider getting one - just remember to uncheck all those
        > boxes that say yes to receiving this and that information.
        >
        > best regards
        >
        > Ping.

      • P.H. Rankin Hansen
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17 4:40 AM
          At 11:21 13-03-02 -0800, Leonard and Anita Barton wrote:

          >What benefit do I gain by getting a Yahoo ID?

          You can

          a, b, c, d and, e) use the online facilities of the discussion list,
          including file and image sharing.

          f) personalize many Yahoo settings
          g) get a free homepage at GeoCities
          h) use Yahoo Messenger