beginner question

  • Teri Pittman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
      I'm new to the list. I've been directed towards top bar hives, in
      response to a question on another list about working bees in your old
      age (I'm in my 50s). I am planning to put in bees next spring,
      hopefully 3 hives to start. I have locust & maple on my place with
      blackberries near by so I think I have a good spot for bees.

      My questions are: would you recommend top bar hives for someone just
      starting out? Is there anything in particular a newbie would need to
      know about handling these hives in a damp wet area (Washington state)?

      Thanks for your help!
      --
      Teri Pittman
      teri.pittman@...
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
        Hi teri,
        Jon replied to you about the top bar hives, and I am the top bar hiver
        he talks to on that list. This list here is a non-list meaning no one
        really lives here. I think some people are here, but no one talks. There
        is a LOT of top bar hive talk on organicbeekeepers@yahoogroups.com and
        also on beesource
        http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=16

        I prefer organicbeekeepers, but all in all its nice to talk to a wide
        variety of people.

        --
        Scot Mc Pherson
        The Mc Pherson Family Honey Farms

        . ` , ` '
        .,';`,. ``. '.
        _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
        /_____\ .:.,"'`
        /\_____/\ .,:`'"
        \###/.,';`

        I'm new to the list. I've been directed towards top bar hives, in
        response to a question on another list about working bees in your old
        age (I'm in my 50s). I am planning to put in bees next spring, hopefully
        3 hives to start. I have locust & maple on my place with blackberries
        near by so I think I have a good spot for bees.

        My questions are: would you recommend top bar hives for someone just
        starting out? Is there anything in particular a newbie would need to
        know about handling these hives in a damp wet area (Washington state)?

        Thanks for your help!
        --
        Teri Pittman
        teri.pittman@...

        The group archive and other pages can be accessed at

        roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • girl Mark
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
          I and several other friends started out with top bar hives, and I think
          they're far better than Langstroths for a beginner- with the exception
          that it might be a bit more difficult to find a mentor than if you were
          doing the more conventional Langs. But there is now very good
          information available- on the lists and the rest of the internet. Since
          you're researching this 9 months in advance I think you'll have no problem!

          I think we have some good TBH links in the Yahoogroups website (if you
          joined via email, go to www.groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive and sign in,
          then look at the 'files" or "links" area.

          One example of the difference is that in a TBH it is easier to work with
          defensive bees- they aren't disturbed by the opening of the hive as much
          as in a Langstroth because we are able to only expose a few inches of
          combs to light at one time. Also, it is far easier to make our hives
          than it is to make a Langstroth (that was the whole point of the TBH
          invention)- if I remember right, you said you wanted to build your own
          equipment.

          I have worked both hive styles and I vastly prefer the TBH because I
          have had rather defensive bees (I don't buy queens or packages so I wind
          up with whatever Ma Nature sends my way with swarming)- and I think for
          beginners that's a good feature of these hives.

          I saw your question on the other list and I agree that if you dont' want
          to do heavy lifting of supers the top bar hive is a great alternative. I
          also think I once heard someone describe a wheelchair user beekeeper who
          used TBH's.

          There is still some lifting that can be difficult if you're injured, but
          nothing like moving the weight of a super. You may want to build a stand
          that holds a top bar for inspection (something like a very heavy-duty
          version of a file folder frame- two rails that the ends of the bar can
          rest on, so you can stop holding it up if you have arthritis in your
          hands or anything)

          Lastly, there is much less equipment cost involved- if you can find
          scrap wood you can build a TBH for just the cost of screws and wood
          glue- which is fantastic compared to buying foundation, extractor,
          etc... Many of us also practice organic or low-intervention beekeeping
          styles and though there's nothing specific about top bar hives that
          promotes that, it's another thing to consider.

          Mark

          href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive</a><BR>
          > <BR>
          > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at <a
          href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive</a><BR>
          > <BR>
          > </tt>
          >
          > <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
          >

          > <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

          > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
          > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
          > <ul>
          > <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
          href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive">TopHive</a>" on the
          web.<br> </tt>
          > <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an
          email to:<br> <a
          > <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          the <a href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of
          Service</a>.</tt>
          > </ul>
          > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
          >
          > <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

          biodiesel list
        • Teri Pittman
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2005
            >This list here is a non-list meaning no one
            > really lives here. I think some people are here, but no one talks. There
            > is a LOT of top bar hive talk on organicbeekeepers@yahoogroups.com and
            > also on beesource
            > http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=16

            Well, I've joined that one as well, and have been rounding up lots of
            links. I like to really immerse myself into a subject, to get a feel
            for it. It's certainly helping me understand the language!

            --
            Teri Pittman
            teri.pittman@...