get rid of drone comb?

  • Erin
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 19, 2010
      Hi,

      I made a rookie mistake with my second hive. After serious decline in population and activity I asked an experienced beekeeper friend to check out my hive. The good news: no disease. The bad news: they had rejected the queen and didn't replace her. Consequently I had laying workers, then all drones, then no hive. My friend commented that the TBH was physically in good shape and that I should just get more bees next season. That's my plan.

      But, I'm worried that due to all of the drone production the cell size will be off for a normal healthy hive. Should I be getting rid of the existing (unpopulated in my empty of bees) TBH or just leave it alone as my friend suggested?

      Thanks,
      Erin
    • Erin
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 20, 2010
        OOPS... I meant to say "Should I be getting rid of the existing comb in my TBH?"

        Thanks,
        Erin

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Erin" <erintimothy@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I made a rookie mistake with my second hive. After serious decline in population and activity I asked an experienced beekeeper friend to check out my hive. The good news: no disease. The bad news: they had rejected the queen and didn't replace her. Consequently I had laying workers, then all drones, then no hive. My friend commented that the TBH was physically in good shape and that I should just get more bees next season. That's my plan.
        >
        > But, I'm worried that due to all of the drone production the cell size will be off for a normal healthy hive. Should I be getting rid of the existing (unpopulated in my empty of bees) TBH or just leave it alone as my friend suggested?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Erin

      • James Zitting
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 20, 2010
          I have taken some comb out of my top bar hive this spring for two reasons. One my wife is begging for the wax, and two there was some that was wavy. I think spring is a great time to make the bees redo some comb that you do not like.

          James

          www.beelanding.com

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com<mailto:TopHive%40yahoogroups.com>, "Erin" <erintimothy@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I made a rookie mistake with my second hive. After serious decline in population and activity I asked an experienced beekeeper friend to check out my hive. The good news: no disease. The bad news: they had rejected the queen and didn't replace her. Consequently I had laying workers, then all drones, then no hive. My friend commented that the TBH was physically in good shape and that I should just get more bees next season. That's my plan.
          >
          > But, I'm worried that due to all of the drone production the cell size will be off for a normal healthy hive. Should I be getting rid of the existing (unpopulated in my empty of bees) TBH or just leave it alone as my friend suggested?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Erin

        • Christy Hemenway
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 25, 2010
            The honeycomb drawn in your TBH probably was not originally drawn to
            be drone comb... so they probably began raising drones in worker size
            cells. But in a TBH, the cell sizes are generally different
            throughout - and you probably wouldn't have entire bars of drone comb
            - that's something they do when forced onto worker sized foundation,
            then get a chance to build comb in empty space. Can you tell, by
            looking, the bigger cell size from the smaller? If so, and you are
            concerned, remove the "bigger" cell comb.

            If you started with a package, your cell size is still in transition
            anyway so really the challenge is to get them started early enough to
            draw lots of wax, and get big and healthy. Then over time you can
            continue to pull large comb and help them bring the size down.

            Lots of theories on the regression concept...

            -- Christy Hemenway
            GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
            "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the bees!"
            207-449-1121
            www.goldstarhoneybees.com

            Gold Star Honeybees is based in Bath, Maine and is recognized as a
            Green Business by the Green Business Network
            www.greenamericatoday.org

            On Mar 19, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Erin wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I made a rookie mistake with my second hive. After serious decline
            > in population and activity I asked an experienced beekeeper friend
            > to check out my hive. The good news: no disease. The bad news: they
            > had rejected the queen and didn't replace her. Consequently I had
            > laying workers, then all drones, then no hive. My friend commented
            > that the TBH was physically in good shape and that I should just get
            > more bees next season. That's my plan.
            >
            > But, I'm worried that due to all of the drone production the cell
            > size will be off for a normal healthy hive. Should I be getting rid
            > of the existing (unpopulated in my empty of bees) TBH or just leave
            > it alone as my friend suggested?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Erin

          • Christy Hemenway
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 25, 2010
              So Hello, Top Hive list --

              How is everybody doing? Do we have good reports of overwintered TBH
              bees in colder climates? How about people in warmer climates whose
              bees are out there foraging regularly already?

              How about some descriptions of what your winter was like, and what
              your hives looked like going IN to the winter, and how they are
              looking now?

              Also, if you're interested, Gold Star Honeybees is sponsoring a TBH
              Meetup group - we are geographically based in Bath, Maine, but we'll
              use this Meetup group to start a "national" group, and if it gets big
              enough we can always break off into "splinter groups"! It's here: http://www.meetup.com/Top-Bar-Beekeepers-Meetup-Group/

              -- Christy Hemenway
              GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
              "Makers of the Gold Star Top Bar Hive kit - established 2007!"
              207-449-1121
              www.goldstarhoneybees.com

              Gold Star Honeybees is based in Bath, Maine and is recognized as a
              Green Business by the Green Business Network
              www.greenamericatoday.org

            • roger g
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 26, 2010
                Hello from NJ
                I had 2 hives and one made it a lil weeak but they are bringing in pollen. It was a swarm hive last spring that swarmed and reqeened them selves in july. the other hive that collapsed was a package that swarmed in july also and reqeened themslelves.
                Both seemed strong with lots of food in the fall.
                Opened up last week during that warm spell and got to a fist size pathch of brood and closed back up. Hopefully they'll make it weathers been nice.
                winter was lots of snow and cold. roger

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 26, 2010
                  Thanks!

                  I really appreciate your input. You have a great web site, BTW.

                  Erin

                  --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Christy Hemenway <christy@...> wrote:

                  > The honeycomb drawn in your TBH probably was not originally drawn to
                  > be drone comb... so they probably began raising drones in worker size
                  > cells. But in a TBH, the cell sizes are generally different
                  > throughout - and you probably wouldn't have entire bars of drone comb
                  > - that's something they do when forced onto worker sized foundation,
                  > then get a chance to build comb in empty space. Can you tell, by
                  > looking, the bigger cell size from the smaller? If so, and you are
                  > concerned, remove the "bigger" cell comb.
                  >
                  > If you started with a package, your cell size is still in transition
                  > anyway so really the challenge is to get them started early enough to
                  > draw lots of wax, and get big and healthy. Then over time you can
                  > continue to pull large comb and help them bring the size down.
                  >
                  > Lots of theories on the regression concept...
                  >
                  > -- Christy Hemenway
                  > GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                  > "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the bees!"
                  > 207-449-1121
                  > www.goldstarhoneybees.com
                  >
                  > Gold Star Honeybees is based in Bath, Maine and is recognized as a
                  > Green Business by the Green Business Network
                  > www.greenamericatoday.org
                  >
                  > On Mar 19, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Erin wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I made a rookie mistake with my second hive. After serious decline
                  > > in population and activity I asked an experienced beekeeper friend
                  > > to check out my hive. The good news: no disease. The bad news: they
                  > > had rejected the queen and didn't replace her. Consequently I had
                  > > laying workers, then all drones, then no hive. My friend commented
                  > > that the TBH was physically in good shape and that I should just get
                  > > more bees next season. That's my plan.
                  > >
                  > > But, I'm worried that due to all of the drone production the cell
                  > > size will be off for a normal healthy hive. Should I be getting rid
                  > > of the existing (unpopulated in my empty of bees) TBH or just leave
                  > > it alone as my friend suggested?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Erin

                • Gord Campbell
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 26, 2010
                    Hey, Christy!

                    We lost half of our hives this winter, but there's no mystery to it: a
                    combination of a terribly warm winter and mistakes on our part. The good
                    news is that the hive that we'd fingered as the source of our breeding
                    program last fall made it through just fine.

                    That particular hive is full of the genetics that we'd like: wonderfully
                    calm, excellent producers AND they've survived two winters with hive
                    issues. Last year, the roof blew off in a winter gale and they were open
                    to the elements for a week in temperatures hovering around -20C. This
                    winter, the bottom board came off at some point and they still cam
                    through with flying colours.

                    Cheers,
                    .....G

                    On 25/03/2010 11:23 PM, Christy Hemenway wrote:

                    > So Hello, Top Hive list --
                    >
                    > How is everybody doing? Do we have good reports of overwintered TBH
                    > bees in colder climates? How about people in warmer climates whose
                    > bees are out there foraging regularly already?
                    >
                    > How about some descriptions of what your winter was like, and what
                    > your hives looked like going IN to the winter, and how they are
                    > looking now?
                    >
                    > Also, if you're interested, Gold Star Honeybees is sponsoring a TBH
                    > Meetup group - we are geographically based in Bath, Maine, but we'll
                    > use this Meetup group to start a "national" group, and if it gets big
                    > enough we can always break off into "splinter groups"! It's here:
                    > http://www.meetup.com/Top-Bar-Beekeepers-Meetup-Group/
                    > <http://www.meetup.com/Top-Bar-Beekeepers-Meetup-Group/>
                    >
                    > -- Christy Hemenway
                    > GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                    > "Makers of the Gold Star Top Bar Hive kit - established 2007!"
                    > 207-449-1121
                    > www.goldstarhoneybees.com
                    >
                    > Gold Star Honeybees is based in Bath, Maine and is recognized as a
                    > Green Business by the Green Business Network
                    > www.greenamericatoday.org

                    Gord Campbell
                    Beekeeper - Partner
                    Seldom Fools Apiculture
                    http://sfapiculture.ca 887 Plainview Place
                    Kingston, ON K7P 2K3
                    CANADA
                    gord@... <mailto:gord@...> Phone: +1.613.530-5662

                    Ontario's /first and only/ biodynamic commercial top-bar apiaries:Follow
                    GordoTheGeek on Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/SeldomFools>
                    Honey and hive products produced in balance with nature.

                  • aartiana
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 26, 2010
                      Hi Christy! As for this "newbee" we have yet to make a top bar hive, and still doing research about beekeeping in general. We have had a relatively warm winter in Western Montana, considering. I hope to attend a beekeeping class in Kalispell (about 2 1/2 hours away from me), even if it isn't top bar hive training or organic training per se - there isn't too many resources around here for this, since most of the beekeeping here is commercial (and we hope to change that)! Other than that, I will continue to read the posts here, as well as other forums I have found - thanks for checking in!

                      Lisa
                    • Christy Hemenway
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 18, 2010
                        Thank you Erin. I've recently added a number of "How-To" videos that
                        answer a number of questions.
                        Hope it's helpful!

                        On Mar 26, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Erin wrote:

                        > Thanks!
                        >
                        > I really appreciate your input. You have a great web site, BTW.
                        >
                        > Erin
                        >
                        > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Christy Hemenway <christy@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > The honeycomb drawn in your TBH probably was not originally drawn to
                        > > be drone comb... so they probably began raising drones in worker
                        > size
                        > > cells. But in a TBH, the cell sizes are generally different
                        > > throughout - and you probably wouldn't have entire bars of drone
                        > comb
                        > > - that's something they do when forced onto worker sized foundation,
                        > > then get a chance to build comb in empty space. Can you tell, by
                        > > looking, the bigger cell size from the smaller? If so, and you are
                        > > concerned, remove the "bigger" cell comb.
                        > >
                        > > If you started with a package, your cell size is still in transition
                        > > anyway so really the challenge is to get them started early enough
                        > > draw lots of wax, and get big and healthy. Then over time you can
                        > > continue to pull large comb and help them bring the size down.
                        > >
                        > > Lots of theories on the regression concept...
                        > >
                        > > -- Christy Hemenway
                        > > GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                        > > "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the bees!"
                        > > 207-449-1121
                        > > www.goldstarhoneybees.com
                        > >
                        > > Gold Star Honeybees is based in Bath, Maine and is recognized as a
                        > > Green Business by the Green Business Network
                        > > www.greenamericatoday.org
                        > >
                        > > On Mar 19, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Erin wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > Hi,
                        > > >
                        > > > I made a rookie mistake with my second hive. After serious decline
                        > > > in population and activity I asked an experienced beekeeper friend
                        > > > to check out my hive. The good news: no disease. The bad news:
                        > they
                        > > > had rejected the queen and didn't replace her. Consequently I had
                        > > > laying workers, then all drones, then no hive. My friend commented
                        > > > that the TBH was physically in good shape and that I should just
                        > get
                        > > > more bees next season. That's my plan.
                        > > >
                        > > > But, I'm worried that due to all of the drone production the cell
                        > > > size will be off for a normal healthy hive. Should I be getting
                        > rid
                        > > > of the existing (unpopulated in my empty of bees) TBH or just
                        > leave
                        > > > it alone as my friend suggested?
                        > > >
                        > > > Thanks,
                        > > > Erin

                      • Sarah Komar
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 18, 2010
                          Hey Christy,

                          I should have wagered more for your hive at the EAS auction. :)

                          To anyone who doesn't want to build your own TBH, I highly recommend
                          Christy's model. They are beautiful and build great! I don't own one (yet),
                          but I have seen them in person. The 3-hole side entrance is brilliant, in my
                          opinion.

                          :)
                          Sarah

                        • Gary Piantanida
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 18, 2010
                            Cut all the comb out and render the wax. The new package should start the way it wants to plus if you don't and the new package has problems you will always be wondering about the old comb.

                            Gary J Piantanida

> [...]

                            > > www.greenamericatoday.org
                            > >
                            > > On Mar 19, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Erin wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Hi,
                            > > >
                            > > > I made a rookie mistake with my second hive. After serious decline
                            > > > in population and activity I asked an experienced beekeeper friend
                            > > > to check out my hive. The good news: no disease. The bad news:
                            > they
                            > > > had rejected the queen and didn't replace her. Consequently I had
                            > > > laying workers, then all drones, then no hive. My friend commented
                            > > > that the TBH was physically in good shape and that I should just
                            > get
                            > > > more bees next season. That's my plan.
                            > > >
                            > > > But, I'm worried that due to all of the drone production the cell
                            > > > size will be off for a normal healthy hive. Should I be getting
                            > rid
                            > > > of the existing (unpopulated in my empty of bees) TBH or just

                          • Christy Hemenway
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 19, 2010
                              Hi Sara --

                              Thanks for the compliment. Hope you're doing well. Will you be
                              making the journey to EAS again this summer? We plan to be there as
                              vendors, if the planets align properly...

                              And for folks who saw the Gold Star model that was launched April 1,
                              2009, you might be interested to know that two nice design changes
                              have occurred since. One is that the legs are more substantial now,
                              and rest inside the end panels instead of on the outside (which really
                              looks great) and the other is that the roof ridge has been improved to
                              create a very nice seal in the gable roof.

                              I don't, obviously, have any pictures of the new features on the
                              website yet, since the design changes occurred in September/October,
                              and I haven't got any pretty pix with bees in the new one yet! (Dang,
                              you guys are observant!)

                              On Apr 18, 2010, at 10:54 PM, Sarah Komar wrote:

                              > Hey Christy,
                              >
                              > I should have wagered more for your hive at the EAS auction. :)
                              >
                              > To anyone who doesn't want to build your own TBH, I highly recommend
                              > Christy's model. They are beautiful and build great! I don't own one
                              > (yet),
                              > but I have seen them in person. The 3-hole side entrance is
                              > brilliant, in my
                              > opinion.
                              >
                              > :)
                              > Sarah
                              >
                              > On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Christy Hemenway <
                              > christy@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Thank you Erin. I've recently added a number of "How-To" videos that
                              > > answer a number of questions.
                              > > Hope it's helpful!
                              > >
                              > > -- Christy Hemenway
                              > > GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                              > > "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the bees!"
                              > > 207-449-1121
                              > > www.goldstarhoneybees.com
                              > >
                              > > Gold Star Honeybees is based in Bath, Maine and is recognized as a
                              > > Green Business by the Green Business Network
                              > > www.greenamericatoday.org
                              > >
                              > > On Mar 26, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Erin wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > Thanks!
                              > > >
                              > > > I really appreciate your input. You have a great web site, BTW.
                              > > >
                              > > > Erin
                              > > >
                              > > > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Christy Hemenway <christy@...>

                              > drawn to
                              > > > size
                              > > > comb
                              > foundation,
                              > are

                              > transition
                              > enough
                              > can

                              > as a

                              > decline
                              > friend
                              > > > they
                              > I had
                              > commented
                              > just
                              > > > get

                              > cell
                              > getting
                              > > > rid
                              > > > leave

                            • Christy Hemenway
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 19, 2010
                                We've been seeing pollen in Maine through March, then got back into
                                some nerve-wracking cooler temps in the past week or so. Had a little
                                bit of snow even on Saturday.
                                Lots of stuff out there blooming - well ahead of schedule here, we
                                usually say the first dandelion hits at around tax day, but they've
                                been out for three weeks now.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 19, 2010
                                  With last summer's weather, (worst in recorded history) the worst
                                  honey crop on record, and a warm, drag on winter, you're right - no
                                  mystery at all. I have heard that the purveyors of the national
                                  survey going around expect to hear losses of 50% this year.

                                  Wow - a week in -20 C??? That's outstanding.
                                  How in the world did a bottom board come off!

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 19, 2010
                                    Hi Lisa -
                                    I know what you mean - not much in the way of top bar resources. We
                                    are teaching what we call Top Bar Beekeeping 101 here in Maine, and
                                    the interest is high. I was blown to have students that were driving
                                    distances such as you describe to get information.

                                    Good for you for being a pioneer!

                                    -- Christy Hemenway
                                    GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                                    Makers of the Gold Star Top Bar Hive - since 2007

                                    On Mar 26, 2010, at 3:23 PM, aartiana wrote:

                                    > Hi Christy! As for this "newbee" we have yet to make a top bar hive,
                                    > and still doing research about beekeeping in general. We have had a
                                    > relatively warm winter in Western Montana, considering. I hope to
                                    > attend a beekeeping class in Kalispell (about 2 1/2 hours away from
                                    > me), even if it isn't top bar hive training or organic training per
                                    > se - there isn't too many resources around here for this, since most
                                    > of the beekeeping here is commercial (and we hope to change that)!
                                    > Other than that, I will continue to read the posts here, as well as
                                    > other forums I have found - thanks for checking in!
                                    >
                                    > Lisa

                                  • Gord Campbell
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 19, 2010
                                      We're up to 12 out of 15 hives lost now. A combination of going into
                                      winter with low stores and burning through that in a hurry due to the
                                      weather, moisture problems in some, mice rampaging through the comb in a
                                      few more and a weasel/stoat living in the end cavity and using the tops
                                      of the bars (right above the honey, naturally) for its latrine.

                                      That bottom was temporarily tied on with poly twine and we never got
                                      over to put it right

                                      The hive splits start this week (lots of capped drone brood last week
                                      and it will be hatching shortly), so we should be back to where we were
                                      by July. Especially if this weather holds. We're at least six weeks
                                      ahead of last year. :-D

                                      Cheers,
                                      .....G

                                      On 04/19/2010 10:44 AM, Christy Hemenway wrote:
> [...]
                                      >>> GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
                                      >>> "Makers of the Gold Star Top Bar Hive kit - established 2007!"
                                      >>> 207-449-1121
                                      >>> www.goldstarhoneybees.com
                                      >>>
                                      >>> Gold Star Honeybees is based in Bath, Maine and is recognized as a
                                      >>> Green Business by the Green Business Network
                                      >>> www.greenamericatoday.org

                                      >> --
                                      >> Gord Campbell
                                      >> Beekeeper - Partner
                                      >> Seldom Fools Apiculture
                                      >> http://sfapiculture.ca 887 Plainview Place
                                      >> Kingston, ON K7P 2K3
                                      >> CANADA
                                      >> gord@...<mailto:gord@...> Phone:
                                      >> +1.613.530-5662
                                      >>
                                      >> Ontario's /first and only/ biodynamic commercial top-bar
                                      >> apiaries:Follow
                                      >> GordoTheGeek on Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/SeldomFools>
                                      >> Honey and hive products produced in balance with nature.

                                      Ontario's /first and only/ treatment-free commercial top-bar apiaries.

                                    • Sarah Komar
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 19, 2010
                                        Hi Christy,

                                        I would love to go again as I had a blast meeting you and everyone else
                                        (Dave and Linda Hackenberg!), plus the great information. :) I missed
                                        Pennsic terribly last year and already have several committments there.
                                        Kentucky isn't too far from here, but I might wait until it gets a little
                                        closer to me.

                                        Would love to hear how you do as a vendor at EAS. So many people there had
                                        never even heard of a TBH, let alone have seen one! Knock 'em dead!

                                        :)
                                        Sarah