Re: [TopHive] Baseline hives

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2010
      WAS: Introduction/NOW:

      >Thanks everyone for the info. Christy and Dan your right; when I asked about the
      "traditional Langstroths", they used to be the only hive I knew about. I watched
      a show on permaculture with Bill Mollison, and saw the TBH for the first time. I
      was astounded, I started wondering why more keepers weren't using this system.
      Until that point, I was really ignorant to other styles of hives. Thanks again
      for the info.

      Jimmy

      ------------------

      Langs expand. TopBars tend to be shrinkable, but expand sorta
      awkwardly... with the exception of the Warré, which is a top bar.
      Langs are known because of numbers. Numbers exist because
      they expand and solved some issues, and had removable frames,
      which pros and inspectors like... and they had issues, so that
      created a new after-market. That creates a sales force, and
      you get a circle of effect. But you can still read about them
      and learn. Some of it applies, and some doesn't. I wanted a
      small hive, and a small footprint. A horizontal topbar hive interested
      me greatly, in a small size, until I found Warrés. But each to their own.

      I learn toward organic & non-treatment. YMMV. And of course,
      you can buy a Lang. Finding a Top Bar or Warré to buy can
      be a lil harder. Need a mentor? You might find a Lang mentor
      easily. Love them or hate them, they are all around. Some
      folks are using Langs in a top bar way... like a big Warré.