RE: [TopHive] Queen Bees

  • Scot Mc Pherson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2005

      That's simply not true, the queen is right smack dab in the middle of
      the core of the colony. Perhaps it was meant that the queen is kept away
      from the honey supers. Yes this is often practiced, but usually
      unnecessary, but it's a matter of taste and choice and opinion whether
      you wish to use what is called a queen excluder.

      In a TBH you don't need a queen excluder. The queen won't lay in the
      honey stores. The reason why the queen may start to lay in a langstroth
      hive's honey stores is because cells right above the brood nest which
      are empty may end up being laid in by the queen. In a TBH, the brood
      nest doesn't expand upwards, but expands horizontally towards the back
      of the hive. The queen won't cross honey to lay eggs usually, and in a
      TBH since the comb is foundationless the honey combs are usually too big
      for the queen to lay in unless she feels like laying drones. She
      certainly won't lay past the 3rd or so honey storage comb at the back of
      the brood nest since she will want to lay within the confined of the
      cluster.

      add supers. How does that work in the TBH?

      You build a TBH to be big enough to store at least a single season's
      worth of honey forage. You remove the honey to make more room instead of
      adding empty space.

      Thanks

      Avadhuta

      You're welcome,

      Scot Mc Pherson
      Bradenton Bees
      http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org
      mailto:scot@...

      . ` , ` '
      .,';`,. ``. '.
      _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
      /_____\ .:.,"'`
    • Barry Lay
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
        Scot,

        Thanks for the info. Yes, I think I explained it wrong about the queen excluders. They are keeping the queen from the honey, not the workers.

        So, the TBH sounds way simpler and easier to manage. I'm pretty excited and am planning on making a couple of hives this week in preparation for this guy bringing me a swarm or two.

        Its funny. I'm 53 years old, but this is something I've wanted to do since I was about 20. I guess some of us have trouble getting off the seat of our pants.

        Take care and thank you

        Avadhuta