Queen Bees

  • Barry Lay
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2005
      Hi, I have been offered some bees the next time the local beekeeper
      has to remove a swarm. He is a Langstroth guy and when I asked him
      about top bar hives he didn't know anything. From talking with him
      though I have a few questions.

      In the Langstroth hive they separate the queen from the workers. How
      does that work in the TBH? As the colony grows in the Langstroth they
      add supers. How does that work in the TBH?

      Thanks

      Avadhuta
    • Scot Mc Pherson
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2005

        That's simply not true, the queen is right smack dab in the middle of
        the core of the colony. Perhaps it was meant that the queen is kept away
        from the honey supers. Yes this is often practiced, but usually
        unnecessary, but it's a matter of taste and choice and opinion whether
        you wish to use what is called a queen excluder.

        In a TBH you don't need a queen excluder. The queen won't lay in the
        honey stores. The reason why the queen may start to lay in a langstroth
        hive's honey stores is because cells right above the brood nest which
        are empty may end up being laid in by the queen. In a TBH, the brood
        nest doesn't expand upwards, but expands horizontally towards the back
        of the hive. The queen won't cross honey to lay eggs usually, and in a
        TBH since the comb is foundationless the honey combs are usually too big
        for the queen to lay in unless she feels like laying drones. She
        certainly won't lay past the 3rd or so honey storage comb at the back of
        the brood nest since she will want to lay within the confined of the
        cluster.

        add supers. How does that work in the TBH?

        You build a TBH to be big enough to store at least a single season's
        worth of honey forage. You remove the honey to make more room instead of
        adding empty space.

        Thanks

        Avadhuta

        You're welcome,

        Scot Mc Pherson
        Bradenton Bees
        http://beewiki.linuxfromscratch.org
        mailto:scot@...

        . ` , ` '
        .,';`,. ``. '.
        _/^\_ :;.,';`'.,` `., ' '`,
        /_____\ .:.,"'`
      • Barry Lay
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27, 2005
          Scot,

          Thanks for the info. Yes, I think I explained it wrong about the queen excluders. They are keeping the queen from the honey, not the workers.

          So, the TBH sounds way simpler and easier to manage. I'm pretty excited and am planning on making a couple of hives this week in preparation for this guy bringing me a swarm or two.

          Its funny. I'm 53 years old, but this is something I've wanted to do since I was about 20. I guess some of us have trouble getting off the seat of our pants.

          Take care and thank you

          Avadhuta