Queen Excluder

  • klmpub
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2009
      Haven't bought or built my 1st TBH yet but was looking at pics and saw a hive that appeared to have 18 bars then another 16 bars on the other side of some form of queen excluder.

      Is a queen excluder used in a TBH and if so what does it look like?

      Regards,
      Earl May
    • Christy Hemenway
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2009
        Hi Earl --

        I suspect that what you saw was called a "follower board". I have
        never found a need to exclude the queen in a top bar hive - she
        doesn't generally wander around laying eggs just any old place - only
        where it is easy for the workers to care for the brood.

        Gold Star's Top Bar Hive kit has 30 bars, and two follower boards.
        The followers are used to "follow" the size of the colony - when
        starting a package or a swarm, you start them about 10 bars apart or
        so, and as they grow, you move top bars from outside the follower
        bars, to inside, thus making their cavity larger.

        There are some pix here: http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/TopBarHiveKitsForsale/tabid/58/Default.aspx

        -- Christy Hemenway
        GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
        "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the bees!"
        207-449-1121
        www.goldstarhoneybees.com

        Gold Star Honeybees is recognized as a Green Business by the Green
        Business Network
        www.greenamericatoday.org

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2009

          Here's one more type. I imagine you could use an excluder with it, but they don't.
          Most makers lean toward metric. We are THE only country that is NOT metric.
          Ok.. the CIA says there are 2 others, but investigation shows that they bow daily
          to the metric God. I use metric in some engineering, but English measurement
          for most construction.

          I have started a list for these, under construction, and now have a website planned.
          You commonly think of a TB hive as a HTBH, horizontal Top Bar Hive.
          These Warré are stacked like Langs, but are TBH's.

          BillSF9c