Lesson in bees

  • First
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2009
      Well I got initiated last night. I took everyones advise and went and removed 1 of the 2 honey supers off of each of the hives. Everything went extremely well untill...a lone bee got inside my veil and I freaked out and squished her on my nose. She stung me on the nose and set off a chain reaction for all the other bees on my neck area. I was trying to smoke the bees but was just blowing out ash all over the bees,making them mad,mad,mad. I was almost to the end and trying to put the inner cover on when all of this went down. I ran away and composed myself, went back to get the smoker,got stung again,and relit it to finish the job. I guess I learned a valuable lesson. I escaped with only a dozen or so stings. I will be back early in the morning to take the hives home. Hope it goes better.
      I will be attempting to split these hive into my top bar hives this summer.