New beekeeper needs help

  • First
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
      I live in north central Alabama and have just been given 2 complete colonies of
      bees in addition to 1000's of dollars worth of used equipment. My problem is
      moving the hives. They have not beed tended to this whole year and the owner
      says that there is about 200# of honey on the hives. I went and looked at the
      hives,1 is very active as of last week and the other is about 1/4 as active as
      the 1rst. They have about 3 supers total on each and maybe a topfeeder. They are
      located in the bacyard on a slope,no pickup truck access. I must move these by
      hand or with a wheelbarrow. I was supposed to get them this weekend but it
      rained and it was to wet and slick. So I have this week to prepare more and need
      all suggestions I can get. William

      ps.Does anybody use this group? Light activity
    • Christy Hemenway
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
        Hi William --

        Yes, people do use this group... it's not as heavy activity as some...

        Are the hives you have been given Langstroth hives?

        -- Christy Hemenway
        GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
        "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the bees!"
        207-449-1121
        www.goldstarhoneybees.com

        On Nov 2, 2009, at 9:52 AM, First wrote:

        > I live in north central Alabama and have just been given 2 complete
        > colonies of
        > bees in addition to 1000's of dollars worth of used equipment. My
        > problem is
        > moving the hives. They have not beed tended to this whole year and
        > the owner
        > says that there is about 200# of honey on the hives. I went and
        > looked at the
        > hives,1 is very active as of last week and the other is about 1/4 as
        > active as
        > the 1rst. They have about 3 supers total on each and maybe a
        > topfeeder. They are
        > located in the bacyard on a slope,no pickup truck access. I must
        > move these by
        > hand or with a wheelbarrow. I was supposed to get them this weekend
        > but it
        > rained and it was to wet and slick. So I have this week to prepare
        > more and need
        > all suggestions I can get. William
        >
        > ps.Does anybody use this group? Light activity

      • bill lorch
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
          Boy wish i had your problem: Having said that you realize you should move these about dark time. That insures most beez are in the hive. Also move the honey supers first an get them into your shop/ honey house. Than put a entrance reducer in place.tie what is remaining some how together, (cover to Bottom board),i recon you could use a wheel barrow an i would highly recomend a helper.if you have one or can get one get some netting to cover it for moving. It is best after you get them moved to leave the entrene reducer in place for a day or 2. Best of luck to you. Bill

          To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
            Yes langstoth hives. I do have a topbar hive but no bees. I made it this past month to begin with but I was given these 2 colonies.

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 2, 2009
              I think you've gotten some pretty good advice from another response...
              near dark for sure, as you want as many bees to be at home as possible.

              If you will be harvesting the honey, then now would be the time to go
              ahead and remove it - using whatever method you plan to to get the
              bees from off the honeycomb.

              Then tie or strap everything quite firmly, and netting is another good
              idea, especially depending on the vehicle you will be moving them
              in... put them in a prepared spot, leaving the entrance reducer in
              place for a day or two until they get their bearings.

              Lucky you! (But too bad they weren't top bar hives!)

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
                Like garden lists, beek lists can slow at this time of year.
                I'm on a dozen bee lists (or more) but this is in the bottom
                of the top 5 or so.

                As a Warré hive body is ~ 25 lbs+, I'd guess you'll have 50 lbs
                to haul up the slippery slope, per box/hive-body/section.
                A rope & helping hand might be a thought. A lil after dusk,
                good advise. Eye goggles, the minimum protection I advise.
                You don't know these bees. NO body odors./perfumes.

                Yer location???

              • wildemagic1
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 3, 2009
                  If it were me and If they needed to be moved so close to winter I would cut the exess honey, you will probably need to feed them after set up.
                  Then depending on the terain put them on top of a tarp and drag them to the truck or get a freind and run a sling under them.
                  Either way unattended top bars hives can turn into a mess. good luck
                  Rob