screened bottoms

  • roger g
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
      I made 2 topbars and doing well after swarming in july. They have open screened bottoms, should i close them off for winter??? and what di i need to do to insulate them Roger NJ pics in toads album
    • bill lorch
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 2, 2009
        Be real careful wen insulating Because warm winter days the hive can get over heated. The bottom needs to be closed somehow the beez will eat more honey the colder it gets an the cluster churns,or turns over faster. they will starve to death. it Needs to be as warm as possible without over heting on warm winter days. Good luck to you over wintering. Bill

        To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
        From: toad08551@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 10:17:53 +0000
        Subject: [TopHive] screened bottoms