Skip to search.

Re: [TopHive] top entrances

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2009
      > Anyone here using top entrances in their top bar hive? I like the
      the
      simplicity there, but maybe not what the bees prefer. Any thoughts?

      >A nice thing about a hole higher is ventilation if your hive is
      needing that.
      Jean in CA

      Nice for summer. Some Warre's do it. There is a chimney effect,
      if you also have a lower opening, entrance, screen or etc. usually
      detrimental in cooler areas, and cooler seasons.

      > Posted by: "Ken" acarefreeman@... acarefreeman It seems to
      me to that in most wild bee trees the colony builds down from their
      entrance.
      Michael Bush at bushfarms.com has an article on top entrances
      <http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance>

      I have been asking around about that. Bees sometimes propylize (sp?)
      the floor, possibly for sanitation, but I wonder if a rotting tree
      cavity
      does not more commonly end up with a hole being nearer the top,
      w/water getting in yr after yr, and rotting the bottom, making the
      hole more topside. Would like to hear of any tree cavitiy
      experiences, occupied or not (though, please note it.)