Re: [TopHive] Digest Number 707

  • Carolyn Chaney
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 27, 2009
      The Terra does help, and it is basically boric acid...harmless to
      bees and other living things.

      Also on the TopHive photo page at Yahoo I posted a picture of a
      method I use (after I got tired of killing off my bees in water or
      oil). Basically, I elevate my hive on pipes and then coat the pipe
      ends with light machine oil. The ants won't cross the oil to climb
      onto the hive. The main drawback is that you have to refresh the oil
      every few days. So a combination of this plus Terra Outdoors works
      great.

      Go to and look for Hicks ant nix (named for Ray Hicks, who showed me
      this method).

      Carolyn Chaney
      cchaney@...

      "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious
      life?" Mary Oliver