Re: Ant attack

  • cam5172001
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 25, 2009
      try using motor oil, new or used, in the cans instead of water. Very effective.
      cam bishop

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle" <dh6er2003@...> wrote:

      > Ok the bees are hanging on for dear life...
      > Anybody had any luck dealing with too many ants?
      > I've tried tanglefoot and water moats with minimal sucess.
      > Thanks for any suggestions.
      > MKB

    • S.L.
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 25, 2009
        Diatomaceous earth (a form of ground up fossilized sea shells) is supposed to be a non-toxic (to things other than crawling insects, for whom it acts like shards of broken glass) way to control ants, also. It can be ordered on the internet and some hardware stores carry it.

        try using motor oil, new or used, in the cans instead of water. Very effective.

        cam bishop

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups .com, "Michelle" <dh6er2003@. ..> wrote:

        > Ok the bees are hanging on for dear life...

        > Anybody had any luck dealing with too many ants?

        > I've tried tanglefoot and water moats with minimal sucess.

        > Thanks for any suggestions.

        > MKB

      • Michelle Barnett
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 25, 2009
          thanks!!!!

          ----------

          Diatomaceous earth (a form of ground up fossilized sea shells) is supposed to be a non-toxic (to things other than crawling insects, for whom it acts like shards of broken glass) way to control ants, also. It can be ordered on the internet and some hardware stores carry it.

          try using motor oil, new or used, in the cans instead of water. Very effective.

          cam bishop

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups .com, "Michelle" <dh6er2003@. ..> wrote:

          > Ok the bees are hanging on for dear life...

          > Anybody had any luck dealing with too many ants?

          > I've tried tanglefoot and water moats with minimal sucess.

          > Thanks for any suggestions.

          > MKB

        • Vicky Tuite
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 25, 2009
            I try to be organic, but the outdoor ant trap called Terra worked really
            well for me. Last year I tried the cans with water and that just ended up
            being full of stinky decaying bees. With the Terra I haven't seen any ants.

            On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Michelle Barnett <dh6er2003@...>wrote:

            > thanks!!!!
            >
            > ----------
            > Sent from AT&T's Wireless network using Mobile Email

          • shailu i
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 25, 2009
              Greetings ,
              Step by step :
              First Change the place of hive
              keep little sugar on the previous place
              Next
              clean the hive box& surrounding place and place it proper on new base after greassing with grease or Vasline with thick band so that Ants with longer legs too are stopped
              Keep us informed
              take care
              ManyThanks
              indulkarshailu@...

              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Vicky Tuite <vixter@...> wrote:

              > I try to be organic, but the outdoor ant trap called Terra worked really
              > well for me. Last year I tried the cans with water and that just ended up
              > being full of stinky decaying bees. With the Terra I haven't seen any ants.
              >
              > On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Michelle Barnett <dh6er2003@...>wrote:
              >

              > > thanks!!!!
              > >
              > > ----------
              > > Sent from AT&T's Wireless network using Mobile Email

            • T.E. Andersen
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 26, 2009
                Hello,

                A fellow beekeeper advised me that ants don't like to walk across
                copper. So,- my one HTBH (my first :-), and the only hive standing on
                legs at the moment) got 10-12cm strips of thin copper plate around the
                legs. There were small passages under the copper, and when I installed
                the hive (early August), ants started to enter it. I then plugged all
                holes, so that there is no passage without walking across the copper. I
                have not seen a single ant since!

                This is very preliminary. I have only tested it on one hive so far.
                However, the ant situation has been somewhat severe in my apiaries, and
                the results are so encouraging that I will do this on all my hives next
                year!

                Copper is not all that eco friendly, but it does last a lifetime, and
                bees can not drown in it. By any standard, it is _far_ better than motor
                oil or pesticides...

                Best regards,
                T.E.

                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 26, 2009
                  Depends on the ant type also. Advise which?

                  I use Grant's ant stakes.
                  It is a fed offense to use them contrary to instructions.

                  So do not open them up and do not add a lil honey or sugar to
                  them to make them enticing and do not protect them from rain
                  and do not use a wire mesh to keep bees from getting tot them
                  and do not put it in a can with tht end squashed nearly closed to
                  keep squirrels and dogs safe, etc.

                  BillSF9c
                • jeffbeck_av8r
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 28, 2009
                    I once had a Diatomaceous Earth Pool Filter. It was the best pool filter I ever had. So if you are looking for Diatomaceous Earth; try a Pool Supply store.