Honey flow

  • Barry Jackson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5 2:48 AM
      Hi Folks
      Question is:- I have new colony (from swarm May) and they are doing well.
      They seem to have stopped at bar 13 (of a 25 bar hive). Very small attempt
      at both ends, but extremely full 4/5 bars of honey not completely capped. DO
      I INSERT EMPTY BARS BETWEEN FULLY CAPPED HONEY BARS TO ENCOURAGE MORE DRAWN
      COMB?
      Barry

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5 10:39 AM
        >Hi Folks
        Question is:- I have new colony (from swarm May) and they are doing well.
        They seem to have stopped at bar 13 (of a 25 bar hive). Very small attempt
        at both ends, but extremely full 4/5 bars of honey not completely capped. DO
        I INSERT EMPTY BARS BETWEEN FULLY CAPPED HONEY BARS TO ENCOURAGE MORE DRAWN
        COMB?
        Barry

        Barry... Temperatures? Climate expectations? Local forage? Rough Location?
        Age of hive and when introduced to hive, if this year? Type of bee, maybe.
        Like a doc, some history and some situational/home life info, eh?

      • jarrybaxon@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 5 2:50 PM
          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, OOWONBS@... wrote:

          > >Hi Folks
          > Question is:- I have new colony (from swarm May) and they are doing well.
          > They seem to have stopped at bar 13 (of a 25 bar hive). Very small attempt
          > at both ends, but extremely full 4/5 bars of honey not completely capped. DO
          > I INSERT EMPTY BARS BETWEEN FULLY CAPPED HONEY BARS TO ENCOURAGE MORE DRAWN
          > COMB?
          > Barry
          >
          > Barry... Temperatures? Climate expectations? Local forage? Rough Location?
          > Age of hive and when introduced to hive, if this year? Type of bee, maybe.
          > Like a doc, some history and some situational/home life info, eh?
          > BillSF9c
          >
          > Hi Bill
          Colony was a small swarm April end shaken into a 37.5" TBH. The brood section, which I haven't inspected since 27th June, when I sugar dusted all the combs. (one varroa found next day on base board). There are approximately 6 frames of honey comb, most of which is capped, bulging and very heavy. I looked in one end today and the side of 3rd bar in was empty, but drawn out presumably for honey whilst its other side was white capped. 2nd in was about 6" round and empty as yet. 1st bar not worked at all. Similar story at the other end. Temperatures in London UK are around 70 and likely to remain for another month through August. Position of hive is South facing with a 6 foot hedge 4 feet away from the entrance. Forages circle in from the West and East and left to right looking at the entrance (3x 1" central holes.The bees are thought to be cordovan (orangey) with a mix of other type. There are huge drones coming in, I thought to rob at first, but generally they are allowed in and they come around every few seconds during the day. The brood has hatched a couple of times since they arrived and seem very clean and healthy. If I can attach pictures I will. I have 3 hives in my allotment,so there are any number of plants for nectar and pollen for them on this 8 acre site and of course we are surrounded by trees and posh gardens. Today the pollen was probably asparagus (rich orange) and white-green (blackberry?) I have a huge patch of borage and phacelia.
          Is that enough info for you?

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 7 1:47 PM
            > Question is:- I have new colony (from swarm May) and they are doing well.
            > They seem to have stopped at bar 13 (of a 25 bar hive). Very small attempt
            > at both ends, but extremely full 4/5 bars of honey not completely capped. DO
            > I INSERT EMPTY BARS BETWEEN FULLY CAPPED HONEY BARS TO ENCOURAGE MORE DRAWN
            > COMB?
            > Barry

            > Barry... Temperatures? Climate expectations? Local forage? Rough Location?
            > Age of hive and when introduced to hive, if this year? Type of bee, maybe.

            > Hi Bill
            Colony was a small swarm April end shaken into a 37.5" TBH. The brood section,
            which I haven't inspected since 27th June, when I sugar dusted all the combs.
            (one varroa found next day on base board). There are approximately 6 frames of
            honey comb, most of which is capped, bulging and very heavy. I looked in one end
            today and the side of 3rd bar in was empty, but drawn out presumably for honey
            whilst its other side was white capped. 2nd in was about 6" round and empty as
            yet. 1st bar not worked at all. Similar story at the other end.

            13 bars, and half are honey? Sounds ok. Maybe the forage or the queen have
            taken a break.

            If you meant in the earlier mail, to add an empty frame (TB=Top Bar) between
            EACH honey-store, generally that's a bad idea. You MIGHT add 1 empty between
            the honey and the brood... in case they want/need brood room. Excessive
            space is space that allows cold in. We near autumn. Unfilled space might
            be something that you would remove, say, if they make a 1/2 frame of
            brood and a cold spell hits. That's an awkward deal, so try to avoid
            that scenario. You might make that empty brood frame, a frame with 1-2-3
            inches of honey comb. They can add brood comb to it. Break one off at 3"???
            Or do you have one, half full? Keep brood frames in order, though, as
            they are now. if you shift them, shift them as a group.

            >Temperatures in
            London UK are around 70 and likely to remain for another month through August.
            Position of hive is South facing with a 6 foot hedge 4 feet away from the
            entrance. Forages circle in from the West and East and left to right looking at
            the entrance (3x 1" central holes.The bees are thought to be cordovan (orangey)
            with a mix of other type.

            So temps will allow you to inspect, if you desire to, with some attn to
            detail on a by-frame basis. (I'm wondering if the brood are ok, and there's
            no nosema. I'm assuming that if you had that, they'd not be as disposed
            to make honey.

            >There are huge drones coming in, I thought to rob at
            first, but generally they are allowed in and they come around every few seconds
            during the day.

            Drones must be fed, as I understand it. That would make them poor robbers.

            >The brood has hatched a couple of times since they arrived and
            seem very clean and healthy. If I can attach pictures I will. I have 3 hives in
            my allotment,so there are any number of plants for nectar and pollen for them on
            this 8 acre site and of course we are surrounded by trees and posh gardens.
            Today the pollen was probably asparagus (rich orange) and white-green
            (blackberry?) I have a huge patch of borage and phacelia.
            Is that enough info for you?
            >Barry

            BillSF9c Keep us filled in! ;>)