Re: [TopHive] newbie

  • David McDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 11, 2005
      Carolyn,

      I'd go ahead and try it--I suspect the bees can handle it. I know a
      beekeeper with hives in Big Sur, and also have worked hives in Carmel
      Valley, both places with Buckeye, and so I'm guessing the Buckeye
      isn't a big factor. Perhaps this is because though the Buckeye is in
      principle poisonous, the pollen and nectar don't get used much, maybe
      because of bloom timing, or because they're unappealing to the bees.

      Did you attend a top-bar workshop in California? Where? From whom?

      David

      On Apr 11, 2005 2:47 PM, Carolyn Chaney <cchaney@...> wrote:

      > I am a newbie to the group, so pardon me if your have discussed this
      > problem recently. After attending a great workshop on TopBar hives and
      > building one, I feel ready to go. BUT I have two large California Buckeye
      > trees (and several oaks) bordering my field, and I have read that buckeye
      > pollen/nectar is toxic to the brood. I can't cut down the trees (zoning
      > regulations). I don't have another good location in my own space.
      >
      > Should I give up on the idea of having my own hive and convince a friend
      > to take my hive? Or is there any other solution?
      >
      > Carolyn from Emerald Hills

      David McDonald
      Santa Fe, NM