RE: [TopHive] 2 topbars

  • GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
      Luckily my bees are all behaving and the comb they are building is right
      on the bars so far. All my entrances face south, not sure if that means
      anything to bees or if that's just us two-leggeds looking for reasons
      for things.

      But Michael Bush's suggestion is just what you did - put new bars
      between straight bars and they seem to do okay at that point.

      I'm curious as to what your top bars look like - do you have a guide
      line, or guide bar of some kind?

      -- Christy Hemenway

      GOLD STAR HONEYBEES

      "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the Bees!"

      207-449-1121

      www.goldstarhoneybees.com <http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/>

      Progress might have been all
      <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/434.html> right once, but it has
      gone on too long. -- Ogden
      <http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Ogden_Nash/> Nash (1902 - 1971)

      #2 package installed next day,much slower and building crookedcomb.
      Tried staightening week ago and lost some off bars cause soft and tour
      easy. today checked again and still building crooked.cut some small
      parts of and staightened other. put a new bar between couple i
      straightened. would this be a good idea where ever i do this,hoping they
      will build new straight?roger NJ

    • roger
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
        front faces the morning sun roger--- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, howard pirtle <zeeduk69@...> wrote:

        > what is the orientation of hive #2  north south east west? Looking at it from the front which way does it point...hhh

      • bill lorch
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
          Rises in the east sets in the west! No compass needed

          To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
          From: toad08551@...
          Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:19:44 +0000
          Subject: [TopHive] Re: 2 topbars

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
              Not being smart but these guys are going to do what they want to do. For instance in my Lnag hive these guys kept building burr upward i cut it out they re built so i got intelligent i stopped removing the burr they built it back than went on to filling there super.i have 1 hive a full lang for brood, 1 super 6" in for them, and a ross sround for me on that hive and its going well soon as i figured out they know more than i do about they wanna do

              To: TopHive@yahoogroups.com
              From: toad08551@...
              Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 12:11:35 +0000

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
                Most all the bars have beveled quide. Inspector was here yesterday said all hives looked good. In the package hive I cut some more comb out while we were in there. Some comb build purpendicular to bars. like they started comb on 2 places on bar then some bees started comb the opposit direction between them LOL. Put couple more bars on and feed some more, see what happens. All hives have lots of brood and drawn comb
                I have 2 topbar and 3 langs. one lang was a re-hive from an old abandoned hive that was rotted and falling over. this nubee is learning a lot and having fun doing it roger NJ