National to TBH

  • MURIEL PARKINSON
    Message 1 of 4 , May 27, 2009
      Hi
      I have just received my first TBH today.  Can I put bees into it from a national.  The brood box in the national does not have any foundation.  I want to change before I get a visit from the bee inspector as he is going to look through all my hives even the warres.  I don't know when he is coming and I need to paint the TBH first before putting in bees.  I have three warres, five nationals and an empty warre waiting for a swarm.  Has anyone had a bee inspection and if so how did it go?
      Muriel
    • Michael Vanecek
      Message 2 of 4 , May 27, 2009
        Why not put a swarm in it or a cut-out feral colony into it? Or are you
        retiring your nationals? I don't think a bee inspector is going to fret
        over an empty hive either.

        Be well,
        Mike

        --
        Zone 8, Texas
        http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plant Info and More...

      • muriel.parkinson@btinternet.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2009
          I would like to give up 4 Nationals and keep two in reserve but not being used - in case there are too many swarms etc.
          Muriel---

          In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Michael Vanecek <mike@...> wrote:

          > Why not put a swarm in it or a cut-out feral colony into it? Or are you
          > retiring your nationals? I don't think a bee inspector is going to fret
          > over an empty hive either.
          >
          > Be well,
          > Mike
          >
          > --
          > Zone 8, Texas
          > http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plant Info and More...
          >

          > MURIEL PARKINSON wrote:
          > > Hi
          > > I have just received my first TBH today. Can I put bees into it from a national. The brood box in the national does not have any foundation. I want to change before I get a visit from the bee inspector as he is going to look through all my hives even the warres. I don't know when he is coming and I need to paint the TBH first before putting in bees. I have three warres, five nationals and an empty warre waiting for a swarm. Has anyone had a bee inspection and if so how did it go?
          > > Muriel

        • Michael Vanecek
          Message 4 of 4 , May 28, 2009
            Then I'd treat it like a standard cutout.

            Be well,
            Mike