RE: [TopHive] Re: feeder ?????????

  • GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2009
      Yes, the bags leaked for me too - that's why the tupperware container
      for it to rest in. Then it can leak if it wants to but the feed is
      still there and the bees can walk on the bag and not drown so easy as if
      it was an open container.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 11, 2009
        Thanks for the grest ideas. Woke up 4:30 this morning thinking about it. figured i can build a stronger following board and cut slots in it to hold 2 front feeders for the qt jars. kool already been down to the shop and measured up so i know it will fit. #1 project for today. #2 project will be to design a feeder i can set in the bottom with maybe floaters in so the bees won't drown. Maybe thin sticks that will desend with the water level?? My topbars have tapered sides. Roger
      • GOLD STAR HONEYBEES
        Message 3 of 14 , May 11, 2009
          Like this?

          I spaced the four wooden blocks to hold the jar snugly, and made them
          tall enough to create bee space beneath.
          The lip around the edge makes it suitable for feeding dry sugar as well,
          in times when it's too cold to use syrup.

          As if feeding bees is a good thing... :-( But it's better than no bees!

          -- Christy Hemenway

          GOLD STAR HONEYBEES

          "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the Bees!"

          207-449-1121

          www.goldstarhoneybees.com <http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/>

          Progress might have been all
          <http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/434.html> right once, but it has
          gone on too long. -- Ogden
          <http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Ogden_Nash/> Nash (1902 - 1971)

          Message 4 of 14 , May 11, 2009
            What a great photo essay Roger!

            Thanks for reposting the info about it here for us newbies.

            Dan Harriman
            Orange, Texas

            If at first you don't succeed, maybe you shouldn't try sky diving!

            > i have 1" holes for entrance pictures in toads album---

          • roger
            Message 5 of 14 , May 11, 2009
              Just made a following board that will hold 2 front feeders and put in hive with swarm and put 2 chick waterers in hive w/package. See how that works. When i get time i'll make a feeder to put in bottom with some kind of floaters. Roger

              Message 6 of 14 , May 11, 2009
                Thanks I'm having great time and want to share. My first yr w/bees and now have 5 hives going good Rogern NJ
                --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Dan <kc5gxl@...> wrote:

                > What a great photo essay Roger!
                Thanks for reposting the info about it here for us newbies.

                Dan Harriman
                > Orange, Texas
              • roger
                Message 7 of 14 , May 13, 2009
                  Went to check and feed last night and the swarm hive i put the front feeders on the following board didn't take much. I left it on to see if they take more today.
                  The package hive,where i put 2 chick feeders inside took 1 1/2 qts. I refilled them.
                  Maybe if the swarm hive doesn't take much today i'll put a short follwing board in and go back to the chick waterers behind it. Letting the bees go under the board to get to it. Maybe they won't build cone in Jar area them.