Capturing my first bees

  • John Missing
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2009
      My planned program for capturing the bees out of my sister's oak tree is
      well underway. Of course there were several unforeseen developments.
      First of all the hollow was a lot lower in the branch of the trunk than
      I had expected which resulted in running out of enough light to work
      before enough was cut to find that hollow. I didn't get there until the
      next day. On another list there has been a discussion of using or not
      using smoke. With this colony of bees, I have found only a couple of
      times that smoke made a difference, once being when my helper, working
      without a veil, had them attacking his hair and getting into it probably
      because there had been fragrance in his shampoo. Another time was when I
      needed to close a hole and there wasn't room to move them with my brush.
      The only other occasions were when I really upset them and needed to
      keep them from following me all the way back to my sister's house.
      This has been quite an experience that I am actually enjoying more than
      I could have guessed, although I have to say I regret that some bees
      have died. I am absolutely certain that these are not African hybrid
      bees, because they are amazingly docile. I have done most of my work
      without even a veil. However, after I did something really dumb, I
      started evaluating how annoyed the bees are likely to be when I do the
      next thing I need to do. Since my plan requires that I create the
      condition that the only way into and out of the tree is through my box,
      I covered their entrance with screening. However, the fit was not
      perfect and the bees found ways to get past the screening and started
      accumulating on the outside of it. I then had to remove the screening to
      stuff their hole in the tree with rags. I should have thought about the
      fact that pulling the screening off the tree would throw a hundred or
      more bees directly at me. I should have put on at least my veil and long
      sleeves. This was the only time that I got more than a single sting here
      and there, but it was my own fault.
      I have been amazed at these bees' ingenuity and persistence in finding a
      way to keep entering and leaving from the same area of the tree.
      Unfortunately a rotten tree has multiple holes although the bees had
      only been using one of them. I hope that I have closed the last of these
      today, because I began seeing them enter and leave by my box.
      In any case they have been in the box checking it out.

      --
      Namaste,
      John (Konchok Jangchup Dorje ) Missing