Re: ?

  • gkohler1
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
      I built a few TBHs this year. Only one of them has angled walls. I
      have noticed that on that hive there isn't much wall attachment but
      to be honest a long knife easily cuts the wall attachments when I go
      to pull the bars.

      If you're not a real handy person and can only build a straight side
      hive do it. You'll have just as much fun as the guys with the
      Kenyan style hives. The bees won't care.

      Gary

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "beemee2u2" <beemakrmee@s...> wrote:
      > Hi. I'm thinking of starting a TBH. I see a lot of discussion about
      > different ideas of TBHs. Is the angle crucial or is one way as
      good as
      > the other? Thanks
    • P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
        On Sunday 03 October 2004 18:32, gkohler1 wrote:
        > I built a few TBHs this year. Only one of them has angled walls. I
        > have noticed that on that hive there isn't much wall attachment but
        > to be honest a long knife easily cuts the wall attachments when I go
        > to pull the bars.

        Yes, it is quite easy to free the comb, when working the hive from behind. The
        downside is, that it seems to weaken the comb. Not that the combs with angled
        walls won't get attached, because they do from time to time.

        There is another advantage to Tanzanian (straight angled) TBH's -
        interchangeability. If you build them right, you will be able to use regular
        frames in the hives, should the need arise - or to use the TBH combs in your
        normal hives.

        The Tanzanian TBH is not that far from the old style "coffin"-type hives that
        are still used extensively in eastern Europe.

        --
        Ping.

        venlig hilsen / best regards

        P.H. Rankin Hansen
        Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
        DK-8740 Brædstrup
        (+45) 7586 1688
      • gkohler1
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2004
          I agree with Ping's analysis. The first few hives I built this year
          were Tanzanian and one of them allows me to interchange frames from
          the Langstroth hives.

          If anyone has any input on the production differences between the TBH
          and the Lang I would appreciate it. I've not been able to find any
          real data on honey production differences and the labor difference in
          managing a Lang vs. a TBH.

          Gary

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "P.H. Rankin Hansen" <ping@p...>