Re: [TopHive] ?

  • GEORGE McCAMMON
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 17, 2004
      If you would be having AFB's go natural and use 72 degrees

      George E.McCammon
      Guyana

      beemee2u2 <beemakrmee@...> wrote:
      Hi. I'm thinking of starting a TBH. I see a lot of discussion about
      different ideas of TBHs. Is the angle crucial or is one way as good as
      the other? Thanks

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • gkohler1
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3 9:32 AM
        I built a few TBHs this year. Only one of them has angled walls. I
        have noticed that on that hive there isn't much wall attachment but
        to be honest a long knife easily cuts the wall attachments when I go
        to pull the bars.

        If you're not a real handy person and can only build a straight side
        hive do it. You'll have just as much fun as the guys with the
        Kenyan style hives. The bees won't care.

        Gary

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "beemee2u2" <beemakrmee@s...> wrote:
        > Hi. I'm thinking of starting a TBH. I see a lot of discussion about
        > different ideas of TBHs. Is the angle crucial or is one way as
        good as
        > the other? Thanks
      • P.H. Rankin Hansen
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3 11:15 PM
          On Sunday 03 October 2004 18:32, gkohler1 wrote:
          > I built a few TBHs this year. Only one of them has angled walls. I
          > have noticed that on that hive there isn't much wall attachment but
          > to be honest a long knife easily cuts the wall attachments when I go
          > to pull the bars.

          Yes, it is quite easy to free the comb, when working the hive from behind. The
          downside is, that it seems to weaken the comb. Not that the combs with angled
          walls won't get attached, because they do from time to time.

          There is another advantage to Tanzanian (straight angled) TBH's -
          interchangeability. If you build them right, you will be able to use regular
          frames in the hives, should the need arise - or to use the TBH combs in your
          normal hives.

          The Tanzanian TBH is not that far from the old style "coffin"-type hives that
          are still used extensively in eastern Europe.

          --
          Ping.

          venlig hilsen / best regards

          P.H. Rankin Hansen
          Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
          DK-8740 Brædstrup
          (+45) 7586 1688
        • gkohler1
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7 3:13 PM
            I agree with Ping's analysis. The first few hives I built this year
            were Tanzanian and one of them allows me to interchange frames from
            the Langstroth hives.

            If anyone has any input on the production differences between the TBH
            and the Lang I would appreciate it. I've not been able to find any
            real data on honey production differences and the labor difference in
            managing a Lang vs. a TBH.

            Gary

            --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "P.H. Rankin Hansen" <ping@p...>