?

  • beemee2u2
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 16, 2004
      Hi. I'm thinking of starting a TBH. I see a lot of discussion about
      different ideas of TBHs. Is the angle crucial or is one way as good as
      the other? Thanks
    • GEORGE McCAMMON
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 17, 2004
        If you would be having AFB's go natural and use 72 degrees

        George E.McCammon
        Guyana

        beemee2u2 <beemakrmee@...> wrote:
        Hi. I'm thinking of starting a TBH. I see a lot of discussion about
        different ideas of TBHs. Is the angle crucial or is one way as good as
        the other? Thanks

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • gkohler1
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
          I built a few TBHs this year. Only one of them has angled walls. I
          have noticed that on that hive there isn't much wall attachment but
          to be honest a long knife easily cuts the wall attachments when I go
          to pull the bars.

          If you're not a real handy person and can only build a straight side
          hive do it. You'll have just as much fun as the guys with the
          Kenyan style hives. The bees won't care.

          Gary

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "beemee2u2" <beemakrmee@s...> wrote:
          > Hi. I'm thinking of starting a TBH. I see a lot of discussion about
          > different ideas of TBHs. Is the angle crucial or is one way as
          good as
          > the other? Thanks
        • P.H. Rankin Hansen
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
            On Sunday 03 October 2004 18:32, gkohler1 wrote:
            > I built a few TBHs this year. Only one of them has angled walls. I
            > have noticed that on that hive there isn't much wall attachment but
            > to be honest a long knife easily cuts the wall attachments when I go
            > to pull the bars.

            Yes, it is quite easy to free the comb, when working the hive from behind. The
            downside is, that it seems to weaken the comb. Not that the combs with angled
            walls won't get attached, because they do from time to time.

            There is another advantage to Tanzanian (straight angled) TBH's -
            interchangeability. If you build them right, you will be able to use regular
            frames in the hives, should the need arise - or to use the TBH combs in your
            normal hives.

            The Tanzanian TBH is not that far from the old style "coffin"-type hives that
            are still used extensively in eastern Europe.

            --
            Ping.

            venlig hilsen / best regards

            P.H. Rankin Hansen
            Grædstrupvej 53, Grædstrup
            DK-8740 Brædstrup
            (+45) 7586 1688
          • gkohler1
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2004
              I agree with Ping's analysis. The first few hives I built this year
              were Tanzanian and one of them allows me to interchange frames from
              the Langstroth hives.

              If anyone has any input on the production differences between the TBH
              and the Lang I would appreciate it. I've not been able to find any
              real data on honey production differences and the labor difference in
              managing a Lang vs. a TBH.

              Gary

              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "P.H. Rankin Hansen" <ping@p...>