Re: [TopHive] Stings?

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10 7:19 PM
      > My sister decided that we
      needed to do something about the lack of pollinators in her garden.
      However, she is very allergic to bee stings. Therefore it would fall to
      me to be the actually beekeeper, both at her home and at mine.

      BTW, John. I caught my own swarm, and admittedly, they are docile.
      But I wore no gear but safety goggles, and have not been stung.

      Critical to fewer effects, are to remove the stinger asap, within
      2 seconds, (university study, not hearsay)
      via scratching it away, sideways, with a fingernail or
      ALREADY HANDY "credit card," and
      NOT squeezing the left-behind venom sac, attached to the stinger
      and still pumping away for several seconds.

      Some bees are gentle.
      AHB has reached your area or Florida.

      You will be well advised to use precautions that I did not, and
      to check the hive monthly, merely to walk near it to see if they
      begin to unusually agress.

      BillSF9c
    • Michael Vanecek
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 10 8:28 PM
        Actually, university study also says speed trumps method - trying to
        scratch it out takes too long and pinching it out doesn't "squeeze" any
        appreciable amount of venom in before you remove it. So, pinch that
        puppy out and forget about fumbling with a scraper or credit-card.

        Be well,
        Mike

        --
        Zone 8, Texas
        http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plant Info and More...

        OOWONBS@... wrote:
        > BTW, John. I caught my own swarm, and admittedly, they are docile.
        > But I wore no gear but safety goggles, and have not been stung.
        >
        > Critical to fewer effects, are to remove the stinger asap, within
        > 2 seconds, (university study, not hearsay)
        > via scratching it away, sideways, with a fingernail or
        > ALREADY HANDY "credit card," and
        > NOT squeezing the left-behind venom sac, attached to the stinger
        > and still pumping away for several seconds.
        >
        > Some bees are gentle.
        > AHB has reached your area or Florida.
        >
        > You will be well advised to use precautions that I did not, and
        > to check the hive monthly, merely to walk near it to see if they
        > begin to unusually agress.
        >
        > BillSF9c

      • John Missing
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 10 11:12 PM
          For myself, I am not worried about stings, both because I'm not allergic
          to them and because they will benefit my RA.

          --
          Namaste,
          John (Konchok Jangchup Dorje ) Missing

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 11 11:29 AM
            >Actually, university study also says speed trumps method

            True.

            >- trying to scratch it out takes too long and pinching it out doesn't
            "squeeze"
            any appreciable amount of venom in before you remove it. So, pinch
            that
            puppy out and forget about fumbling with a scraper or credit-card.
            Be well,
            Mike

            I guess we'd have to ask for the study methodology.
            They did say, don't squeeze, according to the report... of the report.
            ;>)

            I have average fingernails for a guy. They work.

            A credit card would need to be on a string around your neck to be
            adequately handy. I *could* get to a pocket comb as fast as heck...
            That may be the ticket for some; unless they get all suited up.
            I am fortunate in not needing to; at least for a decade more.
            ;>/

            Happy Non-Denominational Holidays
            BillSF9c
          • Cynthia Virtue
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 11 2:20 PM
              OOWONBS@... wrote:
              > A credit card would need to be on a string around your neck to be
              > adequately handy.

              Stick, hive tool, corner of hive, etc....

              But if the sister is worried about pollinators there are also mason bees
              and similar.

              cv