Re: TBH Bottom Design?

  • Tom Warren
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 10, 2009
      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Marty Hardison" <topbarbeehives@...> wrote:

      > Hi Tom,
      > I have been following the discussion about screened bottom options. I have not been happy with the sliding bottom boards that I have built to date. So I devised a reversible bottom stand for my screened bottom hives. Here in Colorado I can't overwinter my bees in a hive with a drop space under the screen. So I reverse the stand. Open for summer and closed for winter. I posted some pictures in the Photo section of this website. My album bears my name - Marty Hardison. Take a look if you have not already engineered your screened bottom hive.
      >
      > Marty

      Murphy's Law, Marty. I found your pics just after I completed my first set of TBHs on Monday. <g>

      I think I'm okay. The screen is tacked to the hive bottom sides and ends. I can slide a thin board just over that through the entrance opening simply by taking out any entrance reducer I may use. I made some more solid bottom boards for winter, much like your design, only not so tall.

      I've learned a lot already just going though this process. The next TBHs will incorporate what works from this year's trials. BTW, DeeLusby over on the Organic Beekeepers list advises against screens at all and opts for permanent bottom boards, but she's not clear on ventilation issues.

      It'll be interesting to see how this all works out.

      thanks so much for your ideas, Marty

      tom
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 11, 2009
        >The screen is tacked to the hive bottom sides and ends. I can
        slide a thin board just over that through the entrance opening simply
        by taking
        out any entrance reducer I may use. I made some more solid bottom
        boards for
        winter, much like your design, only not so tall. <snipped>
        tom

        If you cut the bottom 1/2 - 2" off the rear,
        and make that piece a part of the slide-in tray,
        you get the drift of what I was trying to say.

        This can allow for a feeder even if it is jar lids.
        Heck, you could slip in a lizard heating pad or a
        resister series attached to a battery or charger,
        even hooked to a 35F thermostat..

        You also are not bugging bees by being at the entrance.
        And you may make the tray thicker.

        You can still add another board of styrofoam or
        etc to the btm exterior to block drafts.
        BillSF9c
      • Michael Vanecek
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9, 2009
          I have seen top-bar hives with no bottom at all, and no "entrance." The
          open bottom becomes the entrance. The bees even keep the grass that
          tries to grow up into the hive pruned too. Of course, that makes the
          brood/honey placement a bit harder to control - they'll often have brood
          along many of the combs at the bottom, with the honey at the top and on
          the sides. Still, it's an interesting concept. I'm sure a Lang or Warre
          hive could use this as well. Not sure how that'd do up in the north tho.

          Be well,
          Mike

          --
          Zone 8, Texas