Comb question

  • Sarah Komar
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2008
      Hello,

      Some of my harvested comb is brown. Is that bad? Can I use the honey from
      it? Can I use it to make candles with?

      Thanks!
      Sarah

      Check out my blog and webpage:
      http://anjouapiary.blogspot.com/
      and
      www.AnjouApiary.com
    • P.H. Rankin Hansen
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
        The comb is brown because the bees have had brood in it. Nothing wrong
        with it. If you melt it down, you will get normal yellow wax.

        It would be a shame to make candles with it. Unless I'm mistaken, you
        haven't used pesticides or antibiotics, which again means that the wax
        is unpolluted. In some countries, it is hard to get unpolluted wax, and
        it is sold at a premium price.

        Ping.

        venlig hilsen / best regards / vy 73 de OZ4PH & 5P1H

        Peter H. Rankin Hansen
        Stjærvej 15, Storring
        DK-8464 Galten
        Danmark

        (+45) 7586 1688 / (+45) 2211 9611

        Si vis pacem, para bellum - if you want peace, prepare for war.

        Sarah Komar skrev:
        > Hello,
        >
        > Some of my harvested comb is brown. Is that bad? Can I use the honey from
        > it? Can I use it to make candles with?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Sarah
        >
        > Check out my blog and webpage:
        > http://anjouapiary.blogspot.com/
        > and
        > www.AnjouApiary.com

      • Sarah Komar
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2008
          No, I am an organic beekeeper. Pesticides and antibiotic free. Maybe I will
          sell it in blocks.

          Thanks!

          Sarah