Re: [TopHive] Re: Please tell me I'm not hooked again!!

  • Jennifer Andersen
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 12, 2008
      No, but I saw it done on the Internet.  May be a problem in high wind areas.  Don't know.

      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 15, 2008
        Hi Fred,
        Let me try to change your train of thought. What kind of roofs you got
        out there? How about the attic, Feel like building a new shed with
        maybe a flat roof.

        Four steel beams and an eletric winch to elevate a platform, Put a
        solar powereed eletric fence around any of those ideas and your in
        business.

        If you go with a roof idea make a dumb waiter type device for lifting
        the heavy stuff.

        Gary

        http://www.biobees.com/forum/index.php
      • David
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 16, 2008
          Thanks Jim, for the extnded TBH/lang tips. Got a coming cut out
          hopefully so will be needing to make another box soon. Making some
          cutout TBH holders & will see how all goes. Amazin how many folks now
          reporting wild hives needing removal in San Gabriel Valley/southern
          California area. I'm still seeingthe wild hive in the SG mountain
          foothills going strong as well. Will see when our colder but still
          warm winter weather kicks in here.

          David Sneiders, southern Calif, San Gabriel Valley

          > You just double or triple the length of a Lang and decide how deep
          you want
          > the box. Except you make the rabit to hold the frames along the
          side long
          > board and can add a back entrance as well as a front
          > The top are in sections. You then use top bars instead of frames
          all the way
          > or maybe at the back. Since the top can be in pieces you can make
          several to
          > a hive so there is little weight or none to lift by just sliding
          over on top
          > of another part of the top. A tarp is needed to prevent leaks held
          in place
          > with bungee straps. This configuration allows for stock things like
          a queen
          > excluder and frames for extraction and even a two queen setup.
          > Since side an bottom boards are left longer and all angles are 90
          degrees
          > the carpentry work is simpler.
          >
          > Jim Payne

          10/10/2008