Idea 4 Lang/ TBH Interchangable TB's
On most of the websites regarding TBH's that I have visited, there
seems to be a number of people who want their TB's to be
interchangable with their Lang/ Hoffman frames. I used a deep Lang
body for a TBH last year with the TB's perpedicular to regular
frames. Of course this meant that I couldn't put frames in the
hive. After reading a number of posts, and considering as many of
the functions of frames and TBH's, I came up with this idea...
Make the TB's the exact same length as a frame. This way, when they
are inserted into a Lang hive, they will sit down on the frame-rest
along side all of the Hoffman frames.
When moving a TB that is too long to sit on the frame-rests into a
Lang, it will obviously have to sit on top. When intermingled with
Lang frames, one gets gaps at the top where the frames are leaving
openings for robbing, propolis construction, etc.
Most of us, myself included, are designing our TBH's so that the
frames sit on top of the sides of the hive. I did this because every
design I studied had them this way. While I understand that this is
useful in areas where TBH's are the majority, it isn't necessary for
me. I will use a separate top to keep water out of the hive, and I
don't have Africanized bees (to my knowledge). So I can't think of a
benefit, if trying to have my parts to be interchangable, to have the
TB's sit atop the sides of a Lang hive rather than down on the rests.
Incidentally, also in following others' progress and efforts, I see a
lot of people trying to recreate a "frame" for use with a TBH. I get
the impression that the reason they are persuing the TB method is so
they don't have to use standard "foundation" so that the bees draw
out the comb as they will. (Some persue it for its simplicity of
construction, only to get frustrated with failed combs and bur comb,
and end up looking for a solution to these.) Personally, after
reading about all of the frustrations (which our forefathers' seemed
to have delt with, resulting in the invent of the movable frame) I am
going to build my own frame based on the Hoffman design and using TBH
methods to induce the bees to draw comb in the center. Tney will be
able to fit in my Lang hives. Sure, a little more wood, and
construction time, but hopefully will save me worries and heartache
in the future. Plus, it seems that a lot of people get into TBH
construction because they like to build their own stuff, and so do I.
- zoodood71 wrote:
> While I understand that this isTHink about what it will be like to face an essentially solid top that
>useful in areas where TBH's are the majority, it isn't necessary for
has been propolised by the bees - and no where to insert a hive tool.
Might become an issue.
- --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Keith Benson <kgbenson@s...> wrote:
> zoodood71 wrote:
> > While I understand that this is
> >useful in areas where TBH's are the majority, it isn't necessary
> THink about what it will be like to face an essentially solid top
> has been propolised by the bees - and no where to insert a hivetool.
> Might become an issue.Good thinking Keith,You have you cap on as usual.
If I have them in a Lang, it will be while using along with frames
and, so will have a place of my tool. When I am not using with
frames, they will be sitting on top of the sides in a typical TBH.
The reason I will make them this length is not to house them in a
Lang, but only to be able to conviently place them in a Lang when/ if
I need or want to which it seemed was what folks were asking about.