Please tell me I'm not hooked again!!

  • fredk6mdj
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 8, 2008
      Hi, I'm new to the group and just stumbled onto the "TBH" method of
      beekeeping and had to look a little deeper.

      I had to drop out of hobby beekeeping fourteen years ago due to back
      problems. I live on a mountain top in the southern California
      mountains and packing around full supers of honey up and down the
      cliffs was just too much, so I converted my operation to shallow
      supers only - brood nest and supers, a change I would do again as it
      made hive manipulations soo much easier and the bees didn't seem to
      care at all.

      Later on I shifted the operation to pollen collection only, with just
      enough honey collecting to support the bees needs (I ran ten hives)
      and shortly after that I shifted to Cobana round comb honey. By
      feeding back unfinished rounds as well as poor quality rounds kept the
      operation in balance. Several years after that the bears discovered
      my operation and pretty much put a halt to things for the season. I
      started up again the following spring with the same outcome.

      It's hard to give up a hobby that gave me such joy for thirty years
      and the "TBH" concept stoked the old embers inside me with the
      prospect of keeping bees on a stand with minimal bending, I'm sure I
      could adapt my old pollen traps to the TBH.

      Last week I found myself out in the barn poking around all my old bee
      equipment - please tell me I'm not hooked again!!........Fred
    • Jim & Rebecca Payne
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
        On one group we discussed using human urine around the hives to keep bears
        away. That might help you. The other was laying down net fence flat on the
        ground around them. They won't walk over the fencing it is said.
        Jim Payne

        > Hi, I'm new to the group and just stumbled onto the "TBH" method of
        > beekeeping and had to look a little deeper.
        >
        > I had to drop out of hobby beekeeping fourteen years ago due to back
        > problems. I live on a mountain top in the southern California
        > mountains and packing around full supers of honey up and down the
        > cliffs was just too much, so I converted my operation to shallow
        > supers only - brood nest and supers, a change I would do again as it
        > made hive manipulations soo much easier and the bees didn't seem to
        > care at all.
        >
        > Later on I shifted the operation to pollen collection only, with just
        > enough honey collecting to support the bees needs (I ran ten hives)
        > and shortly after that I shifted to Cobana round comb honey. By
        > feeding back unfinished rounds as well as poor quality rounds kept the
        > operation in balance. Several years after that the bears discovered
        > my operation and pretty much put a halt to things for the season. I
        > started up again the following spring with the same outcome.
        >
        > It's hard to give up a hobby that gave me such joy for thirty years
        > and the "TBH" concept stoked the old embers inside me with the
        > prospect of keeping bees on a stand with minimal bending, I'm sure I
        > could adapt my old pollen traps to the TBH.
        >
        > Last week I found myself out in the barn poking around all my old bee
        > equipment - please tell me I'm not hooked again!!........Fred

        9:20 AM
      • helpingthebees
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
          And if you do use an electric fence to keep the bears out (we have a
          solar powered one, finally after 13 years of warding the bears off)
          we have added extra "grounding" around the perimeter of the fence
          so that the bear really is grounded when he touches the electric fence.
          It's so dry here in CO that the bear wasn't always well "grounded"
          when he touched the electric fence and would push through it.

          We use fencing and around the perimeter on the ground and connect it
          to the "ground" of the electric fence

          Karen

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Rebecca Payne"
          <jimandrebeccan@...> wrote:

          > On one group we discussed using human urine around the hives to keep
          bears
          > away. That might help you. The other was laying down net fence flat
          on the
          > ground around them. They won't walk over the fencing it is said.
          > Jim Payne

          10/5/2008
          > 9:20 AM

        • Jennifer Andersen
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
            You can also try hanging the TBH (or Lateral Lang like I use) in trees on a pully system. That way it is out of the bear's reach.

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
              >Hi, I'm new to the group and just stumbled onto the "TBH" method
              >I had to drop out of hobby beekeeping fourteen years ago due to back
              problems.
              >and the "TBH" concept stoked the old embers inside me with the
              prospect of keeping bees on a stand with minimal bending,
              .....Fred

              TB might help.
              There are dif types though.

              Warre's stack like Langs.
              B4 you say, "but my back!" they often use a homebrew lift,
              sorta like a guillotine/forklift that is simple to make, and could
              have wheels like a hand truck.

              In any event, stay here too. I am on MANY bee lists.
              Warre' has nice folks. They do mainly organic.
              They tend bees maybe 2-3 x a yr max.
              Some point out that a Warre' has fixed top bars,
              but you are not required to fix them. And a
              few even use a 'semi-frame." Simplest hive to build,
              until you start adding observation windows etc.

              Bears like to eat people, so I dunno if urine would help.
              They are omnivores. I think a lil chain link v well done might
              be reqd, or a solar electric fence. They outrun a horse for a
              short distance, so carry a lg magnum sidearm or shotgun
              w buckshot, and maybe a dog.

              BillSF9c
            • Jim & Rebecca Payne
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 9, 2008
                I am leaning towards the ehybred that is like a Lang as far as frames but
                longer like a TBH. There are some of those out there and another nice thing
                about the TBH configuration is it is kinda stealth. Not quite so obvious
                what it is. You will see some examples if you read back posts.
                Jim Payne
                > >Hi, I'm new to the group and just stumbled onto the "TBH" method
                >>I had to drop out of hobby beekeeping fourteen years ago due to back
                > problems.
                >>and the "TBH" concept stoked the old embers inside me with the
                > prospect of keeping bees on a stand with minimal bending,
                > .....Fred
                >
                > TB might help.
                > There are dif types though.
                >
                > Warre's stack like Langs.
                > B4 you say, "but my back!" they often use a homebrew lift,
                > sorta like a guillotine/forklift that is simple to make, and could
                > have wheels like a hand truck.
                >
                > In any event, stay here too. I am on MANY bee lists.
                > Warre' has nice folks. They do mainly organic.
                > They tend bees maybe 2-3 x a yr max.
                > Some point out that a Warre' has fixed top bars,
                > but you are not required to fix them. And a
                > few even use a 'semi-frame." Simplest hive to build,
                > until you start adding observation windows etc.
                >
                > Bears like to eat people, so I dunno if urine would help.
                > They are omnivores. I think a lil chain link v well done might
                > be reqd, or a solar electric fence. They outrun a horse for a
                > short distance, so carry a lg magnum sidearm or shotgun
                > w buckshot, and maybe a dog.
                >
                > BillSF9c

                9:20 AM
              • weston1949
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
                  As you have a barn, why not put your TBH's inside with their entrances
                  against the outside walls. Drill through the barn walls in the
                  corresponding places. Hang your pollen traps on the outside of the
                  barn. This is just what I have done here in Sweden to protect them
                  from Elk (what you call Moose) knocking them over.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
                    Have you actually done a pulley system to get the hives up
                    in the trees? Have you been able to stablize the hives from
                    the winds? (we get some strong winds 50-70mph out of a canyon
                    we live near)

                    Karen

                  • David
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
                      Go you have any links to the specs on these ehybrid framed longer
                      hives? I would like to try as a future for lang transition in distant
                      future. Thanks.

                      David Sneiders, southern Calif, San Gabriel Valley

                      <jimandrebeccan@...> wrote:

                      > I am leaning towards the ehybred that is like a Lang as far as
                      frames but
                      > longer like a TBH. There are some of those out there and another
                      nice thing
                      > about the TBH configuration is it is kinda stealth. Not quite so
                      obvious
                      > what it is. You will see some examples if you read back posts.
                      > Jim Payne

                      10/5/2008
                      > 9:20 AM

                    • Jim & Rebecca Payne
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 10, 2008
                        You just double or triple the length of a Lang and decide how deep you want
                        the box. Except you make the rabit to hold the frames along the side long
                        board and can add a back entrance as well as a front
                        The top are in sections. You then use top bars instead of frames all the way
                        or maybe at the back. Since the top can be in pieces you can make several to
                        a hive so there is little weight or none to lift by just sliding over on top
                        of another part of the top. A tarp is needed to prevent leaks held in place
                        with bungee straps. This configuration allows for stock things like a queen
                        excluder and frames for extraction and even a two queen setup.
                        Since side an bottom boards are left longer and all angles are 90 degrees
                        the carpentry work is simpler.

                        Jim Payne
                        > Go you have any links to the specs on these ehybrid framed longer
                        > hives? I would like to try as a future for lang transition in distant
                        > future. Thanks.
                        >
                        > David Sneiders, southern Calif, San Gabriel Valley
                        >

                        > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Rebecca Payne"
                        > <jimandrebeccan@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >> I am leaning towards the ehybred that is like a Lang as far as
                        > frames but
                        >> longer like a TBH. There are some of those out there and another
                        > nice thing
                        >> about the TBH configuration is it is kinda stealth. Not quite so
                        > obvious
                        >> what it is. You will see some examples if you read back posts.
                        >> Jim Payne

                        7:07 AM
                      • Jennifer Andersen
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 12, 2008
                          No, but I saw it done on the Internet.  May be a problem in high wind areas.  Don't know.

                          Have you actually done a pulley system to get the hives up
                          in the trees? Have you been able to stablize the hives from
                          the winds? (we get some strong winds 50-70mph out of a canyon
                          we live near)

                          Karen

                          > You can also try hanging�the TBH (or Lateral Lang�like I use) in
                          trees on a pully system. That way it is out of the bear's reach.�

                        • Gary
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 15, 2008
                            Hi Fred,
                            Let me try to change your train of thought. What kind of roofs you got
                            out there? How about the attic, Feel like building a new shed with
                            maybe a flat roof.

                            Four steel beams and an eletric winch to elevate a platform, Put a
                            solar powereed eletric fence around any of those ideas and your in
                            business.

                            If you go with a roof idea make a dumb waiter type device for lifting
                            the heavy stuff.

                            Gary

                            http://www.biobees.com/forum/index.php
                          • David
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 16, 2008
                              Thanks Jim, for the extnded TBH/lang tips. Got a coming cut out
                              hopefully so will be needing to make another box soon. Making some
                              cutout TBH holders & will see how all goes. Amazin how many folks now
                              reporting wild hives needing removal in San Gabriel Valley/southern
                              California area. I'm still seeingthe wild hive in the SG mountain
                              foothills going strong as well. Will see when our colder but still
                              warm winter weather kicks in here.

                              David Sneiders, southern Calif, San Gabriel Valley

                              > You just double or triple the length of a Lang and decide how deep
                              you want
                              > the box. Except you make the rabit to hold the frames along the
                              side long
                              > board and can add a back entrance as well as a front
                              > The top are in sections. You then use top bars instead of frames
                              all the way
                              > or maybe at the back. Since the top can be in pieces you can make
                              several to
                              > a hive so there is little weight or none to lift by just sliding
                              over on top
                              > of another part of the top. A tarp is needed to prevent leaks held
                              in place
                              > with bungee straps. This configuration allows for stock things like
                              a queen
                              > excluder and frames for extraction and even a two queen setup.
                              > Since side an bottom boards are left longer and all angles are 90
                              degrees
                              > the carpentry work is simpler.
                              >
                              > Jim Payne

                              10/10/2008