Idea 4 Lang/ TBH Interchangable TB's

  • zoodood71
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hey,
      On most of the websites regarding TBH's that I have visited, there
      seems to be a number of people who want their TB's to be
      interchangable with their Lang/ Hoffman frames. I used a deep Lang
      body for a TBH last year with the TB's perpedicular to regular
      frames. Of course this meant that I couldn't put frames in the
      hive. After reading a number of posts, and considering as many of
      the functions of frames and TBH's, I came up with this idea...

      Make the TB's the exact same length as a frame. This way, when they
      are inserted into a Lang hive, they will sit down on the frame-rest
      along side all of the Hoffman frames.

      When moving a TB that is too long to sit on the frame-rests into a
      Lang, it will obviously have to sit on top. When intermingled with
      Lang frames, one gets gaps at the top where the frames are leaving
      openings for robbing, propolis construction, etc.

      Most of us, myself included, are designing our TBH's so that the
      frames sit on top of the sides of the hive. I did this because every
      design I studied had them this way. While I understand that this is
      useful in areas where TBH's are the majority, it isn't necessary for
      me. I will use a separate top to keep water out of the hive, and I
      don't have Africanized bees (to my knowledge). So I can't think of a
      benefit, if trying to have my parts to be interchangable, to have the
      TB's sit atop the sides of a Lang hive rather than down on the rests.

      Incidentally, also in following others' progress and efforts, I see a
      lot of people trying to recreate a "frame" for use with a TBH. I get
      the impression that the reason they are persuing the TB method is so
      they don't have to use standard "foundation" so that the bees draw
      out the comb as they will. (Some persue it for its simplicity of
      construction, only to get frustrated with failed combs and bur comb,
      and end up looking for a solution to these.) Personally, after
      reading about all of the frustrations (which our forefathers' seemed
      to have delt with, resulting in the invent of the movable frame) I am
      going to build my own frame based on the Hoffman design and using TBH
      methods to induce the bees to draw comb in the center. Tney will be
      able to fit in my Lang hives. Sure, a little more wood, and
      construction time, but hopefully will save me worries and heartache
      in the future. Plus, it seems that a lot of people get into TBH
      construction because they like to build their own stuff, and so do I.

      Coyote
    • Keith Benson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2004
        zoodood71 wrote:

        > While I understand that this is
        >useful in areas where TBH's are the majority, it isn't necessary for
        >me.

        THink about what it will be like to face an essentially solid top that
        has been propolised by the bees - and no where to insert a hive tool.
        Might become an issue.

        Keith
      • zoodood71
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2004
          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Keith Benson <kgbenson@s...> wrote:

          > zoodood71 wrote:
          >
          > > While I understand that this is
          > >useful in areas where TBH's are the majority, it isn't necessary
          for
          > >me.
          > >

          > THink about what it will be like to face an essentially solid top
          that
          > has been propolised by the bees - and no where to insert a hive
          tool.
          > Might become an issue.
          >
          > Keith

          Good thinking Keith,You have you cap on as usual.
          If I have them in a Lang, it will be while using along with frames
          and, so will have a place of my tool. When I am not using with
          frames, they will be sitting on top of the sides in a typical TBH.
          The reason I will make them this length is not to house them in a
          Lang, but only to be able to conviently place them in a Lang when/ if
          I need or want to which it seemed was what folks were asking about.

          Coyote