Natural way to a Natural Nest

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2008
      "Natural way to a Natural Nest"

      Gary J Piantanida

      Getting back to a natural state of affairs will require some work and
      time. We will not undo 150 years of negative influence overnight. The
      good news is that we are not too late; we know this by observing bee
      building comb when there is no foundation present. When bees are
      allowed to build a nest with no obstructions they always build
      smaller cells than the foundation they were previously on. What does
      this tell us? First they are not predisposed to build the cell size
      WE want and second they want smaller cells.

      Why do the bees want smaller cells? We may never know all the reasons
      but we do know that smaller cell size directly impacts the bee's
      ability to handle the Varroa Destructor Mite. We also now know that
      bees build different size cells for different purposes. We also know
      a natural nest can survive mites without pesticides and a nest built
      on foundation cannot!

      Great now that you are convinced that a natural nest is the way to go
      heres one idea to get there!

      You must start with a clean hive, it does not matter which one you
      use but I will tell you Abbey Warre and TBH are much more conducive
      to natural nests than a Lang is. It is a good idea to use some sort
      of (2) starter strip. Now add bees, (it does not matter where they
      are from) and a feeder and let them build the nest the way they want.
      Use a good mite (3) monitoring method throughout the season, a good
      (4) IPM program, a good over wintering method and your colonies
      should make it through winter.

      Second season:

      You see the first bees flying in spring, Congratulations! You made
      it through the winter.

      Next Step: (5) Shake down

      Smoke the bees- we want them to take as much nectar as they can with
      them to the new hive.
      Set up an empty colony next to this one.
      Start by harvesting all remaining capped honey into a clean bucket
      with a lid.
      When you get to the brood nest find the queen and cage or isolate her
      to prevent hurting her.
      Cut out a section of brood comb and place it (6) upside down in the
      (6) rear of the hive.
      Start shaking the remaining bees into the new hive one comb at a time.
      Capped brood can be placed in the rear of the hive upside down you
      may push sticks in it as legs to support it so the brood has room to
      When you are done you may hang the queen cage like a new installation
      or just release her.
      Remove all the old equipment and comb until the colony reestablishes

      The object is to get all the old comb out and start new so the bees
      build a natural nest it may take several seasons.

      Not Done Yet:

      Take all the comb back to wherever you work be sure to have a piece
      from the center of the brood nest empty if possible.
      First crush the honey and feed it back to the colony via baggie
      Next measure the cell sizes through the colony and record results.
      Render all the wax and save it for future starter strips.

      Start it all over again!

      When the colony has a variety of cell sizes to include 4.9 and
      smaller AND the mite drop remains at a constant average that does not
      call for treatment. You are at a sustainable status, Beware you will
      always have to monitor mites because any event could come along which
      will throw the balance in favor of the mite. The good news is that a
      treatment here and there will do the trick!!

      Good Luck