Re: [TopHive] TBH with Langroth width - interchangability?

  • Keith Benson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2004
      >Unless there is some disadvantage, I would prefer to do this. Then I
      >could experiment with the ideas of TBH as well as the "bee condo"
      >idea.
      >
      >Any reason not to use the standard frame width?

      None what so ever

      Keith

    • Jeffery Francom
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
        I stand corrected. I think in the future I will do as so many do, and refer
        to it as a "Lang" hive... because I am certain to misspell it again if I
        try!!! Ha! I've been pronouncing it incorrectly as well. I did not know
        there was a "t" in there.

        If calling it a "Lang" offends some, do consider that I am not refering to
        the man by this name, but a type of hive. No offence to the man -or- his
        invention.

        My appologies to the late, great Lorenzo Langstroth for butchering his name.

        Jeffery.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
          I really appreciate the replies thus far. I think I am going to make a hive
          the width of a standard "Lang" frame.

          With my "Lang" hives, I leave one hive 3 deeps, and the other hive 2 deeps
          and one "honey super" (a shallow? ;-). This seems to work well. Now I am
          wondering about the TBH equivalent. How many frames / TBs can be in a
          side-by-side design like this (not stacked) before it becomes a problem?
          Would it be too long to make one that accepts 30 TBs or frames? Perhaps I
          could add a super on top, just for harvesting...

          Any thoughts? What is the ideal length - to be an equivalent of leaving 2.5
          to 3 standard "deeps", and still have some honey to harvest?

          Opinions?

          Jeffery

        • zoodood71
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
            -- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffery Francom" <jfrancom@i...>
            wrote:
            > I stand corrected. I think in the future I will do as so many do,
            and refer
            > to it as a "Lang" hive... because I am certain to misspell it again
            if I
            > try!!! Ha! I've been pronouncing it incorrectly as well. I did not
            know
            > there was a "t" in there.
            >
            > If calling it a "Lang" offends some, do consider that I am not
            refering to
            > the man by this name, but a type of hive. No offence to the man -
            or- his
            > invention.
            >
            > My appologies to the late, great Lorenzo Langstroth for butchering
            his name.

            > Jeffery.

            Jeffery,
            You won't believe this, but I really appreciated this response for an
            Off Topic issue. In an email to a sister, I had refered to our neice
            as "MK". What I got back today was an email explaining to how to
            properly make "Meg Catherine's" initials. It kind of blowed the
            chain of conversation and, admittedly, set me off, since I do know my
            own neice's name and she obviously knew who I was talking about. The
            problem is that I can't spell well (due to a flaw in my education).
            It is not something I enjoy being reminded of regularly. Especially
            when it is a "mis-type" rather than me not actually knowing what I am
            saying (even if I don't spell it all correctly). I had even quit
            emailing some family until I had run spell check to circumvent this
            regular occurance. So your tactful response has helped me recover my
            earlier jolly mood.

            And for the record, I was absolutely, positively sure what kind of
            hive you were refering to. (Wasn't it a Lang-top hive? Just kidding.)
            If we are going to shorten the name, do we use a hyphen at the end or
            a period?

            Regards, Coyote