Re: [TopHive] TBH with Langroth width - interchangability?

  • Ron & Eefje
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2004
      Ehhh.....just in between....here
      I know that we all make mistakes, but we should try and respect
      the bloke a little that invented that hive once and spell his name no
      longer as:
      Langroth,
      Langsroth

      but: Langstroth

      Ron van Mierlo

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2004
        >Unless there is some disadvantage, I would prefer to do this. Then I
        >could experiment with the ideas of TBH as well as the "bee condo"
        >idea.
        >
        >Any reason not to use the standard frame width?

        None what so ever

        Keith

      • Jeffery Francom
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
          I stand corrected. I think in the future I will do as so many do, and refer
          to it as a "Lang" hive... because I am certain to misspell it again if I
          try!!! Ha! I've been pronouncing it incorrectly as well. I did not know
          there was a "t" in there.

          If calling it a "Lang" offends some, do consider that I am not refering to
          the man by this name, but a type of hive. No offence to the man -or- his
          invention.

          My appologies to the late, great Lorenzo Langstroth for butchering his name.

          Jeffery.

          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

          > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          The group archive and other pages can be accessed at

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
            I really appreciate the replies thus far. I think I am going to make a hive
            the width of a standard "Lang" frame.

            With my "Lang" hives, I leave one hive 3 deeps, and the other hive 2 deeps
            and one "honey super" (a shallow? ;-). This seems to work well. Now I am
            wondering about the TBH equivalent. How many frames / TBs can be in a
            side-by-side design like this (not stacked) before it becomes a problem?
            Would it be too long to make one that accepts 30 TBs or frames? Perhaps I
            could add a super on top, just for harvesting...

            Any thoughts? What is the ideal length - to be an equivalent of leaving 2.5
            to 3 standard "deeps", and still have some honey to harvest?

            Opinions?

            Jeffery

          • zoodood71
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
              -- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffery Francom" <jfrancom@i...>
              wrote:
              > I stand corrected. I think in the future I will do as so many do,
              and refer
              > to it as a "Lang" hive... because I am certain to misspell it again
              if I
              > try!!! Ha! I've been pronouncing it incorrectly as well. I did not
              know
              > there was a "t" in there.
              >
              > If calling it a "Lang" offends some, do consider that I am not
              refering to
              > the man by this name, but a type of hive. No offence to the man -
              or- his
              > invention.
              >
              > My appologies to the late, great Lorenzo Langstroth for butchering
              his name.

              > Jeffery.

              Jeffery,
              You won't believe this, but I really appreciated this response for an
              Off Topic issue. In an email to a sister, I had refered to our neice
              as "MK". What I got back today was an email explaining to how to
              properly make "Meg Catherine's" initials. It kind of blowed the
              chain of conversation and, admittedly, set me off, since I do know my
              own neice's name and she obviously knew who I was talking about. The
              problem is that I can't spell well (due to a flaw in my education).
              It is not something I enjoy being reminded of regularly. Especially
              when it is a "mis-type" rather than me not actually knowing what I am
              saying (even if I don't spell it all correctly). I had even quit
              emailing some family until I had run spell check to circumvent this
              regular occurance. So your tactful response has helped me recover my
              earlier jolly mood.

              And for the record, I was absolutely, positively sure what kind of
              hive you were refering to. (Wasn't it a Lang-top hive? Just kidding.)
              If we are going to shorten the name, do we use a hyphen at the end or
              a period?

              Regards, Coyote