TBH with Langroth width - interchangability?

  • jefffrancom
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2004
      So is there any reason not to make a TBH with the same dimensions of
      2 or three side-by-side Langsroth deeps? It seems like this would
      give you flexibility of using standard frames -or- TBs.

      Unless there is some disadvantage, I would prefer to do this. Then I
      could experiment with the ideas of TBH as well as the "bee condo"
      idea.

      Any reason not to use the standard frame width?

      Jeffery
    • Ron & Eefje
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2004
        Ehhh.....just in between....here
        I know that we all make mistakes, but we should try and respect
        the bloke a little that invented that hive once and spell his name no
        longer as:
        Langroth,
        Langsroth

        but: Langstroth

        Ron van Mierlo

        > So is there any reason not to make a TBH with the same dimensions of
        > 2 or three side-by-side Langsroth deeps? It seems like this would
        > give you flexibility of using standard frames -or- TBs.
        >
        > Unless there is some disadvantage, I would prefer to do this. Then I
        > could experiment with the ideas of TBH as well as the "bee condo"
        > idea.
        >
        > Any reason not to use the standard frame width?
        >
        > Jeffery

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Keith Benson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2004
          >Unless there is some disadvantage, I would prefer to do this. Then I
          >could experiment with the ideas of TBH as well as the "bee condo"
          >idea.
          >
          >Any reason not to use the standard frame width?

          None what so ever

          Keith

        • Jeffery Francom
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
            I stand corrected. I think in the future I will do as so many do, and refer
            to it as a "Lang" hive... because I am certain to misspell it again if I
            try!!! Ha! I've been pronouncing it incorrectly as well. I did not know
            there was a "t" in there.

            If calling it a "Lang" offends some, do consider that I am not refering to
            the man by this name, but a type of hive. No offence to the man -or- his
            invention.

            My appologies to the late, great Lorenzo Langstroth for butchering his name.

            Jeffery.

            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

            > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            The group archive and other pages can be accessed at

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
              I really appreciate the replies thus far. I think I am going to make a hive
              the width of a standard "Lang" frame.

              With my "Lang" hives, I leave one hive 3 deeps, and the other hive 2 deeps
              and one "honey super" (a shallow? ;-). This seems to work well. Now I am
              wondering about the TBH equivalent. How many frames / TBs can be in a
              side-by-side design like this (not stacked) before it becomes a problem?
              Would it be too long to make one that accepts 30 TBs or frames? Perhaps I
              could add a super on top, just for harvesting...

              Any thoughts? What is the ideal length - to be an equivalent of leaving 2.5
              to 3 standard "deeps", and still have some honey to harvest?

              Opinions?

              Jeffery

            • zoodood71
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 27, 2004
                -- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffery Francom" <jfrancom@i...>
                wrote:
                > I stand corrected. I think in the future I will do as so many do,
                and refer
                > to it as a "Lang" hive... because I am certain to misspell it again
                if I
                > try!!! Ha! I've been pronouncing it incorrectly as well. I did not
                know
                > there was a "t" in there.
                >
                > If calling it a "Lang" offends some, do consider that I am not
                refering to
                > the man by this name, but a type of hive. No offence to the man -
                or- his
                > invention.
                >
                > My appologies to the late, great Lorenzo Langstroth for butchering
                his name.

                > Jeffery.

                Jeffery,
                You won't believe this, but I really appreciated this response for an
                Off Topic issue. In an email to a sister, I had refered to our neice
                as "MK". What I got back today was an email explaining to how to
                properly make "Meg Catherine's" initials. It kind of blowed the
                chain of conversation and, admittedly, set me off, since I do know my
                own neice's name and she obviously knew who I was talking about. The
                problem is that I can't spell well (due to a flaw in my education).
                It is not something I enjoy being reminded of regularly. Especially
                when it is a "mis-type" rather than me not actually knowing what I am
                saying (even if I don't spell it all correctly). I had even quit
                emailing some family until I had run spell check to circumvent this
                regular occurance. So your tactful response has helped me recover my
                earlier jolly mood.

                And for the record, I was absolutely, positively sure what kind of
                hive you were refering to. (Wasn't it a Lang-top hive? Just kidding.)
                If we are going to shorten the name, do we use a hyphen at the end or
                a period?

                Regards, Coyote