A Couple of Questions

  • mike hoffman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2008
      I am a new keeper with a top bar hive, and have had bees for the last 2
      months.
      It has really warmed up here in the NW, and the activity of the bees has
      been very high,
      today there were hundreds of bees covering clothes on the clothesline
      near the front of
      the hive. Also many drones are coming and going, and the front of the
      hive just covered
      with bees. Is there any observable behavior that could indicate that
      bees might swarm?
      What is the normal observable activity of the drones near the entrance?
      What are some
      of the indications that a hive is healthy and normal?

      Great List, Thanks!
      mike hoffman
      --
      mike hoffman
      m_hoffman@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 2008
        If the clothes are wet, I'd say they are sucking them dry! :<)
        Also, lots of bees pouring out of the hive is normal on a hot day if your hive is not properly ventilated.  If you have a screened bottom board and a few air holes on the top and they are still doing this, it might indicate an interest in swarming.

        I am a new keeper with a top bar hive, and have had bees for the last 2
        months.
        It has really warmed up here in the NW, and the activity of the bees has
        been very high,
        today there were hundreds of bees covering clothes on the clothesline
        near the front of
        the hive. Also many drones are coming and going, and the front of the
        hive just covered
        with bees. Is there any observable behavior that could indicate that
        bees might swarm?
        What is the normal observable activity of the drones near the entrance?
        What are some
        of the indications that a hive is healthy and normal?

        Great List, Thanks!
        mike hoffman
        --
        mike hoffman
        m_hoffman@fastmail. fm

      • Jim & Rebecca Payne
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008
          Wet clothes evaporiting would bee cooler too
          Jim P