combining queenless hives

  • bethblue1122
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hi all,

      Please help with a problem. I have two TBHs, both are queenless.
      How they came to be that way is a long story, and trust me, they are
      not merely honey bound, and I am not missing the queens.

      I am able to get a mated queen from my beeclub, but I need advice in
      how to combine two queenless hives and introduce a queen at the same
      time. These colonies are racing the clock. I need to get a queen in
      there and laying asap before the field bees die out and none are left
      to nurse the young (if it isn't too late already--again, a long
      story).

      I was thinking I just combine the hives by bringing in the combs from
      the smaller colony, and spraying all the bees with a 1:1 sugar
      solution, add the queen in a cage with a marshmallow plug, and pray.

      Anything else I should do? A TBH doesn't lend itself to newspaper
      combines, etc.

      I appreciate any suggestions.

      Best regards,

      Beth in CT
    • Jim & Rebecca Payne
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
        A nice spray of Honey Bee Healthy mixed 4 teaspoons to one quart of 1:1
        syrup will take care of any odor difference. It is said a queen or hive
        combine can be done immediately when it is used. Also good for bees to
        settle in a new hive,
        About $25 or less for 16 oz.
        Go to their site and they list everyone who carries it. Something good to
        have on hand all of the time.

        Jim Payne

        > Please help with a problem. I have two TBHs, both are queenless.
        > How they came to be that way is a long story, and trust me, they are
        > not merely honey bound, and I am not missing the queens.
        >
        > I am able to get a mated queen from my beeclub, but I need advice in
        > how to combine two queenless hives and introduce a queen at the same
        > time. These colonies are racing the clock. I need to get a queen in
        > there and laying asap before the field bees die out and none are left
        > to nurse the young (if it isn't too late already--again, a long
        > story).
        >
        > I was thinking I just combine the hives by bringing in the combs from
        > the smaller colony, and spraying all the bees with a 1:1 sugar
        > solution, add the queen in a cage with a marshmallow plug, and pray.
        >
        > Anything else I should do? A TBH doesn't lend itself to newspaper
        > combines, etc.
        >
        > I appreciate any suggestions.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Beth in CT

      • bethblue1122
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
          Thanks very much Jim, that is good advice!

          I will be getting two queens tonight from my bee club president. I
          will install the queens tomorrow, spray the bees, and not complicate
          things with combining at the same time.

          I don't have Honey B Healthy, but just ordered some so I have it on
          hand. I'll bring my spray bottle of 1:1 syrup when I get the queens,
          and if the club president doesn't have a bit of the addititve, I may
          try just adding a drop or two of pure lemongrass oil to the syrup and
          hoping that does the trick.

          I'll post after I do the installation and some time has passed to let
          folks know how it goes.

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Rebecca Payne"
          <jimandrebeccan@...> wrote:

          > A nice spray of Honey Bee Healthy mixed 4 teaspoons to one quart of
          1:1
          > syrup will take care of any odor difference. It is said a queen or
          hive
          > combine can be done immediately when it is used. Also good for bees
          > settle in a new hive,
          > About $25 or less for 16 oz.
          > Go to their site and they list everyone who carries it. Something
          good to
          > have on hand all of the time.
          >
          > Jim Payne

        • Jennifer Andersen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
            If you are not going to combine the hives, I recommend you leave the queen in her box and place it in the hive for three days before you release her.  If it is hot, spray everyone with your sugar syrup (when you put her in, and when you release her in three days).

            You will be able to tell that your hive is ready for the queen when you can easily brush the workers off her cage (they will go right back on it, but they will not cling to her cage wire like thier life depended on it or be buzzing angrily at her).  If they are not ready for her in three days, you may have a queen in your hive that you did not know about.  I had this happen.  My hive swarmed, and when the old hive did not have any eggs after 6 weeks and I could not find a queen, I tried to requeen.  It turned out that I had a new queen in the hive that just hadn't got the hang of laying yet.  The workers did not accept the new queen as a result.

            <jimandrebeccan@ ...> wrote:

            > A nice spray of Honey Bee Healthy mixed 4 teaspoons to one quart of
            1:1
            > syrup will take care of any odor difference. It is said a queen or
            hive
            > combine can be done immediately when it is used. Also good for bees
            > settle in a new hive,
            > About $25 or less for 16 oz.
            > Go to their site and they list everyone who carries it. Something
            good to
            > have on hand all of the time.
            >
            > Jim Payne

          • Michael Vanecek
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
              If you feel the current workers are too old once your queens start
              producing, you may request a couple frames of capped brood from your
              mentor too. Trade him for a couple of empty frames and promise him some
              honey in return perhaps.

              Be well,
              Mike

              --
              Zone 8, Texas
              http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2008
                >Anything else I should do? A TBH doesn't lend itself to newspaper
                combines, etc.
                Best regards,
                Beth in CT

                Well, lol, I am too stupid to know any better. I can see it isn't
                quite the same. But so what... You take a spare bar and use
                wire or 3 sticks, Staple cheesecloth cut roughly and a tiny
                hair larger than the TBH trapezoid. The side sticks and gravity
                will hold the sides in place and the btm stick ditto. Just leave
                1/8" inch so the sticks can fine their own angles. or fabric stores
                have piping with like bb weights for curtains. They would replace
                the sticks. You have a false rear? Split some soft vinyl tubing.
                Use it as a foam perimeter barrier. Cut a hole in the false rear
                and cover with cheesecloth/etc.

                What about lemon grass lure? Just thoughts... pending arrival
                of the other stuff if you can get it b4 the queen.