Re: [TopHive] Re: After transfering bees from nuc frames...

  • Nikki Shields
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 10, 2008
      Thanks for the replies. We are in southern Maine and are completely new to beekeeping (what a way to dive in!). We're in a rural area, so we don't think this will be a problem with the neighbors (our closest neighbor is my Aunt, who has already been helping us by loaning a large sewing needle and some kitchen shears for our transfer project :)

      We do have some photos, although not many close up ones because our hands were covered in honey and my kids were reluctant to get too close with the camera :)  We plan to write up our experience on our website, with the photos, and will send the link when that's ready.

      The bees were still covering the old broodcomb today, and we left them to it, but right now (late evening) it's raining, so they have probably retreated to the hive.  Thanks for the advice!

      Blessings,
      Nikki and Brent

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
        Hi, Nikki -

        How awesome that you are in Maine too. I am in Bath - maybe we could get
        together one day and talk beeeeez!

        -- Christy Hemenway

        GOLD STAR HONEYBEES

        "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the Bees!"

        207-449-1121

        www.goldstarhoneybees.com <http://www.goldstarhoneybees.com/>

        Some great bee sites: www.biobees.com <http://www.biobees.com/> , and
        www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm, and www.beeguardian.org
        <http://www.beeguardian.org/>

        "'Tis with our judgments as our watches, none go just alike, yet each
        believes his own." --Alexander Pope

        _____

        --- On Tue, 6/10/08, billsf9c <OOWONBS@Netscape.
        From: billsf9c <OOWONBS@Netscape. <mailto:OOWONBS%40Netscape.net> net>
        To: TopHive@yahoogroups <mailto:TopHive%40yahoogroups.com> .com
        Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 12:54 PM

        Lack experience here, but it seems ther are obvious answers. If you

        feel the extra scraps of brood comb aren't needed or desireable,

        toss them. You might spray the bees with 1:1 sugar and brush them

        off the comb and discard it. Or you might try to place it in the

        hive. You could tie it up, or down. I don't see which as critical,

        but up is farther from bee-pests.

        If the 2nd batch is different/hotter, you might inquire of your

        source the odds of it being very true versus just a bad hair day,

        for them. ;>) If they ARE a lil hot, that brood comb is less

        desirable, if unneeded, and a requeening may be desired.

        I would say you'd want to gather info and access this sooner

        rather than later... others say, hotter are more productive,

        so *your* goals/needs are an issue. And where you live, may

        be a determining factor... as might your local laws. You may

        even have a small claim to make upon the source of the bees...

        who may be happy to learn earlier rather than later of the

        fact that he may have a local issue as well. At the least, a

        possible discount or a new queen for the sake of goodwill.

        What is your general location? (State?)

        BillSF9c

        --- In TopHive@yahoogroups .com, "BlackLion" <baron_@...> wrote:

        > Hi all!

        > We have been reading this list for a few weeks now and we appreciate

        > all the ideas and thoughts. :)

        > We have just finished transferring 2 nucs of traditional frames

        > (including 3 plastic ones! yikes!) to our 2 tbhs.

        > What should we do with the scraps of honeycomb and broodcomb?

        > For the first hive (on Saturday) we left the scraps (some of which we

        > did put inside) outside on the frames. Near dusk, we moved them to the

        > shed (which does have openings toward the top). There were some bees

        > still working on the brood combs. In the morning, they were almost all

        > gone except for a couple. We assumed they went back to the new hive

        > (no bodies found).

        > Today, we did the same thing with the 2nd hive and at dusk all the

        > scrap brood comb was covered with bees. It seems that these bees are a

        > different type. Each nuc was from a different place and we ordered

        > Carniolans for both. The 1st was much calmer than the 2nd. We checked

        > again tonight at 10pm and the brood comb was still covered with bees.

        > Anyway, any thoughts on what to do? We were reluctant to leave them

        > out there because of animals but they did not want to be moved. :)

        > Thanks in advance!

        > Brent and Nikki

      • Jennifer Andersen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
          How nice it would be to have someone 'local".  Anyone other than me out there from the Bay Area?

          Thanks for the replies. We are in southern Maine and are completely new to
          beekeeping (what a way to dive in!). We're in a rural area, so we don't
          think this will be a problem with the neighbors (our closest neighbor is my
          Aunt, who has already been helping us by loaning a large sewing needle and
          some kitchen shears for our transfer project :)

          We do have some photos, although not many close up ones because our hands
          were covered in honey and my kids were reluctant to get too close with the
          camera :)&nbsp; We plan to write up our experience on our website, with the
          photos, and will send the link when that's ready.

          The bees were still covering the old broodcomb today, and we left them to
          it, but right now (late evening) it's raining, so they have probably
          retreated to the hive.&nbsp; Thanks for the advice!

          Blessings,
          Nikki and Brent

          --- On Tue, 6/10/08, billsf9c &lt;OOWONBS@ Netscape.
          From: billsf9c &lt;OOWONBS@ Netscape. <mailto:OOWONBS% 40Netscape. net> net&gt;
          To: TopHive@yahoogroups <mailto:TopHive% 40yahoogroups. com> .com
          Date: Tuesday, June 10, 2008, 12:54 PM

          Lack experience here, but it seems ther are obvious answers. If you

          feel the extra scraps of brood comb aren't needed or desireable,

          toss them. You might spray the bees with 1:1 sugar and brush them

          off the comb and discard it. Or you might try to place it in the

          hive. You could tie it up, or down. I don't see which as critical,

          but up is farther from bee-pests.

          If the 2nd batch is different/hotter, you might inquire of your

          source the odds of it being very true versus just a bad hair day,

          for them. ;&gt;) If they ARE a lil hot, that brood comb is less

          desirable, if unneeded, and a requeening may be desired.

          I would say you'd want to gather info and access this sooner

          rather than later... others say, hotter are more productive,

          so *your* goals/needs are an issue. And where you live, may

          be a determining factor... as might your local laws. You may

          even have a small claim to make upon the source of the bees...

          who may be happy to learn earlier rather than later of the

          fact that he may have a local issue as well. At the least, a

          possible discount or a new queen for the sake of goodwill.

          What is your general location? (State?)

          BillSF9c

          --- In TopHive@yahoogroups .com, "BlackLion" &lt;baron_@. ..&gt; wrote:

          &gt;

          &gt; Hi all!

          &gt;

          &gt; We have been reading this list for a few weeks now and we appreciate

          &gt; all the ideas and thoughts. :)

          &gt;

          &gt; We have just finished transferring 2 nucs of traditional frames

          &gt; (including 3 plastic ones! yikes!) to our 2 tbhs.

          &gt;

          &gt; What should we do with the scraps of honeycomb and broodcomb?

          &gt;

          &gt; For the first hive (on Saturday) we left the scraps (some of which we

          &gt; did put inside) outside on the frames. Near dusk, we moved them to the

          &gt; shed (which does have openings toward the top). There were some bees

          &gt; still working on the brood combs. In the morning, they were almost all

          &gt; gone except for a couple. We assumed they went back to the new hive

          &gt; (no bodies found).

          &gt;

          &gt; Today, we did the same thing with the 2nd hive and at dusk all the

          &gt; scrap brood comb was covered with bees. It seems that these bees are a

          &gt; different type. Each nuc was from a different place and we ordered

          &gt; Carniolans for both. The 1st was much calmer than the 2nd. We checked

          &gt; again tonight at 10pm and the brood comb was still covered with bees.

          &gt;

          &gt; Anyway, any thoughts on what to do? We were reluctant to leave them

          &gt; out there because of animals but they did not want to be moved. :)

          &gt;

          &gt; Thanks in advance!

          &gt; Brent and Nikki

          &gt;

        • acornjean
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
            --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Andersen <cattledogdreams@...> wrote:

            > How nice it would be to have someone 'local".  Anyone other than me out there from
            the Bay Area?

            Jennifer,
            If, by Bay Area you mean SF Bay, I am in Napa. There are many TBhivers around our area.
            There is an active group meeting in the East Bay, mostly Berkeley and Oakland and they have
            recently started their own yahoo group. It is a very nice group of people.
            eastbaytopbar

            I sometimes hold meetings for top bar folks here in Napa.

            Jean
          • Jennifer Andersen
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
              Great!  I will look them up!  :<)

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                > Posted by: "Nikki Shields" starcatdreamer@... starcatdreamer
                > Thanks for the replies. We are in southern Maine and are completely
                new to beekeeping

                Ahh, I was trying to rule in or out the remote potential for you to have
                bees that were somehow in possession of AHB dna. Unless you got
                them from someone waaay south, we can rule that out.

                You might try putting the camera in a ziplock bag, with only the lens
                exposed.
                Pre-locate & cut the hold a lil smaller and stretch the hole over the
                lens.
                If it's a 35mm, a UV filter is $5 insurance for the lens.

                Can you name the bee source? Cost? Feeling, if any, for that vendor?
                (If it's bad, don't tell us. Just omit saying ok or good, LOL...)
                BillSF9c
              • azizasaid
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                  AHB genetics have been introduced throughout the US for over 50
                  years... so it's possible to have AHB anywhere. the USDA started
                  doing some research with Afrincan bee lines in the 40's and the
                  hybrid bees were available to anyone for thier breeding programs. so
                  there is some distribution of AHB in the general US bee population,
                  commercial and feral, nationally. the yearly media kerfufle
                  about "killer bees invading from mexico" aside, the southern states
                  have a higher likelyhood of AHB wild hives, and with higher
                  concentrations of African genetics. the further from the source you
                  get, the more dilute it is, so wild northern bee populations are not
                  as likely to be as affected by the bad AHB behavior. domestic bee
                  breeders do generally select against excessive agression, so the AHB
                  genes are proabably well diluted there, but it's possible to have the
                  genes present even in northern bred bees.

                  best, megan
                  --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, OOWONBS@... wrote:

                  > > Posted by: "Nikki Shields" starcatdreamer@... starcatdreamer
                  > > Thanks for the replies. We are in southern Maine and are
                  completely
                  > new to beekeeping
                  >
                  > Ahh, I was trying to rule in or out the remote potential for you to
                  have
                  > bees that were somehow in possession of AHB dna. Unless you got
                  > them from someone waaay south, we can rule that out.
                  >
                  > You might try putting the camera in a ziplock bag, with only the
                  lens
                  > exposed.
                  > Pre-locate & cut the hold a lil smaller and stretch the hole over
                  the
                  > lens.
                  > If it's a 35mm, a UV filter is $5 insurance for the lens.
                  >
                  > Can you name the bee source? Cost? Feeling, if any, for that vendor?
                  > (If it's bad, don't tell us. Just omit saying ok or good, LOL...)
                  > BillSF9c

                • Nikki Shields
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 11, 2008
                    Hmm, I maybe think we're too new to have an opinion. :)  Brent may have more input, as he's the one who went to pick up the nucs.

                    No, I don't think they are African bees or anything, just grumpier than the first hive we transferred...

                    Thanks for all the input! It helps!
                    Nikki

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 12, 2008
                      >Posted by: "Jennifer Andersen" cattledogdreams@...
                      cattledogdreams
                      >How nice it would be to have someone 'local". Anyone other than me
                      out there from the Bay Area?

                      A couple of us...
                      had found a little non-local interest but was to replace the ownerless'
                      Santa Clara group. San Francisco has a club, as does San Mateo I hear.
                      I have no idea the percentage of Top Bars however.
                      BillSF9c
                    • Carolyn Chaney
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 12, 2008
                        I'm, from the San Mateo beek club, and we have a few top-bar folk.
                        Two of us did a talk about 2 years ago, and the lang. beeks were
                        amazed. No way to convince them to lay off on the chemicals, but
                        tolerance is high, and newcomers feel welcome, I'd say. One very
                        traditional guy has come over to my place a couple of times to help
                        me split a hive and install a queen, and although he got out his
                        smoker, he soon left it on the sidelines and enjoyed the TB experience.

                        Carolyn from Emerald Hills

                        On Jun 12, 2008, at 9:14 AM, OOWONBS@... wrote:

                        > >Posted by: "Jennifer Andersen" cattledogdreams@...
                        > cattledogdreams
                        > >How nice it would be to have someone 'local". Anyone other than me
                        > out there from the Bay Area?
                        >
                        > A couple of us...
                        > had found a little non-local interest but was to replace the
                        > ownerless'
                        > Santa Clara group. San Francisco has a club, as does San Mateo I hear.
                        > I have no idea the percentage of Top Bars however.
                        > BillSF9c

                      • Jennifer Andersen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 20, 2008
                          I have tried to find the East Bay Top Bar group under yahoo groups and it does not come up.  Any idea how I can get hold of them?

                        • jwheel@interx.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 20, 2008
                            I am so sorry to have steered you wrong. It is not an yahoo group at
                            all and I apologize for wasting your time. It is instead a riseup.net
                            group.

                            Here is the link to join this top bar hive group in the San Francisco
                            Bay area.
                            Most members are in the east bay.

                            eastbaytopbar-subscribe@...

                            That is an address to subscribe.

                            Here is a another link to join a group of SF Bay local top bar
                            enthusiasts.

                            https://lists.riseup.net/www/info/eastbaytopbar

                            Thanks for your interest. If this still doesn't work. email me and
                            will try to help further.
                            I am not running this list or the meetings. I am just trying to help
                            you join up with Bay area top bar folks. I am in Napa, not really
                            east bay, but north of there.

                            Jean

                            acornjean@...

                            On Jun 20, 2008, at 9:39 PM, Jennifer Andersen wrote:

                            > I have tried to find the East Bay Top Bar group under yahoo groups
                            > and it does not come up. Any idea how I can get hold of them?

                          • Jennifer Andersen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 21, 2008
                              No problem.  Bob also got back to me on this.  Thanks very much to both of you.  Hopefully I will see you around!  :<)

                              eastbaytopbar- subscribe@ lists.riseup. net

                              acornjean@yahoo. com