Excellent THB Web site

  • jefffrancom
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 21, 2004
      I found a TBH page that realy impressed me. It is at
      http://geocities.com/usbwrangler/

      If you have not yet, take a look at the site.

      He came across a few interesting points that I would like to discuss
      with the group... brainstorm for ideas and solutions.

      I was wondering if the owner of this site is on this list. Anyone
      know? (I cannot recall his name, I appologize.)
    • mcdonald@att.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 21, 2004
        I like that site too. Dennis (the site author) is very attentive to the bees, and very thorough in his
        investigations. I don't know if he's on this list, but he's definitely active on several other
        beekeeping lists.

        What points in particular did you find interesting?

        --
        David McDonald
        Santa Fe, NM
        > I found a TBH page that realy impressed me. It is at
        > http://geocities.com/usbwrangler/
        >
        > If you have not yet, take a look at the site.
        >
        > He came across a few interesting points that I would like to discuss
        > with the group... brainstorm for ideas and solutions.
        >
        > I was wondering if the owner of this site is on this list. Anyone
        > know? (I cannot recall his name, I appologize.)

        > roup archive and other pages can be accessed at

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • jefffrancom
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 23, 2004
          I noticed on the Bee Wrangler TBH site that he has plans for an
          improved TBH,(improved from his last plans) as well as plans for a
          similar hive, that accepts standard size frames. Basically a
          standard Deep - but double wide. On BeeSource.com I saw a link to
          something called a "bee-condo" or somthing like that - which appears
          to be the same idea.

          I think I like this idea, since my first TBH will be an experiemnt
          anyhow... why not make it using these dimensions, so that I can go
          back and forth between TBs and full frames, as need arises.

          Are there any disadvantages to this approach? It would make splits
          easier. But am I missing anything?

          (I am recognizing that TBH leands itself wel to experimentation...
          but that when I brainstorm long enough and come up with too many
          improvments, I end up loosing some of the simplicity.... and may even
          end up with... well, a Langsroth hive! )

          Anyhow, what are your thouhts.

          Jeffery
          PS. Is it considered Bad Form to post this or a similar messagfe on
          this list as well as th Bio Bee list. Some lists frown on that kind
          of thing... I am not sure if many of the members of this list are
          also on that one. Just wondering.
          jf
        • zoodood71
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 23, 2004
            --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "jefffrancom" <jfrancom@i...> wrote:
            > I found a TBH page that realy impressed me. It is at
            > http://geocities.com/usbwrangler/
            >
            > If you have not yet, take a look at the site.
            >
            > He came across a few interesting points that I would like to
            discuss
            > with the group... brainstorm for ideas and solutions.
            >
            > I was wondering if the owner of this site is on this list. Anyone
            > know? (I cannot recall his name, I appologize.)

            Dennis posts on www.BeeSource.com website, as does Dave that I
            mentioned in another post. You can find a TBH discussion they are in
            at http://www.beesource.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000012-11.html

            They are also members of a number of other Yahoo Groups that I am in
            and regular posters (and repliers) on them. Some of the yahoo groups
            that I am a member of regularly persue the TBH but more from a
            clinical view point. These more experienced and ground-breaking
            keepers are using the TBH to coax their bees to build comb with
            smaller cell size than that on commercial foundation for the purpose
            of controlling Varroa mite productivity in the hive. A great idea, I
            am just trying to get my bees to make enough honey to survive the
            winter without my help right now, and using queens bred for mite
            resistance. If their attempts are successful, I will gladly follow
            their lead. In the meantime, I appreciate groups where I can discuss
            the day-to-day challenges of just managing a TBH.

            Coyote
          • gkohler1
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2004
              --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "jefffrancom" <jfrancom@i...> wrote:
              > I found a TBH page that realy impressed me. It is at
              > http://geocities.com/usbwrangler/
              >
              > If you have not yet, take a look at the site.
              >
              > He came across a few interesting points that I would like to
              discuss
              > with the group... brainstorm for ideas and solutions.
              >
              > I was wondering if the owner of this site is on this list. Anyone
              > know? (I cannot recall his name, I appologize.)

              The beewrangler posts on the biological beekeeping group. There are
              several TBH keepers on that group. They talk about much more than
              TBH and it's a full time job just to keep up with all the postings.

              I'm hunting for the production differences in honey and average wax
              yield for a TBH. I'm in the St.Louis, Missouri area. Keepers here
              yield somewhere between 100-200 pounds of honey, depending on hive
              placement of their Langstroth. I haven't found anyone keeping TBHs
              who has done a side-side comparison. The honey data I've found
              ranges from no difference to less than half.

              Gary