CalKenyan Four.

  • Leonard and Anita at AT&T BI
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 8:24 PM
      Greetings Top Bar Group:

      CK4 is well under way. This is a 22.5 degree (from vertical) with 48 inch
      interior length (my bees need more room in both dimensions). I hope the
      steeper angle will reduce adhesions. I have designed a cutting plan that
      will use one 2x12 inch 8ft long for the ends, and one 2x4 inch 10ft long for
      the legs. The sides are built with a 19 by 48 inch frame of 1x2 stock and
      corrugated polyethyline (e.g., "Coroplast(TM)") as an inner and outer liner
      with corrugated box paper as insulation. The poly is stapledto the frame.

      This hive will include polystyrene lighting grid as anti-swarm hangers.

      The outer hull is complete, including entrance and fanning draft slots in
      one end. I'll staple in the bottom screen tomorrow. The legs follow, which
      will then enable the hive to be set up for adding the bottom screen,
      insulation and inner liner.

      I am making a step-by step construction web site with pictures. This can be
      made available immediatly if anyone wants to start constructon.

      My mites appear under control using only cultural methods (drone excision),
      and my new queen (a black Russian) is suposed to be mite resistant due to
      grooming.

      Best wishes to all,

      Leonard.