Gentle Bees

  • Katy
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7 10:40 AM
      Another option is packaged bees (or a queen) from Bee Weaver apiary. I
      started my first beehive ever this year with a package of "Texas Bees".
      It is amazing how gentle they are. (The bees are bred from Buckfast
      bees, which were bred in a monastary in England for their gentleness
      and disease resitance.)

      http://www.beeweaver.com/home.php

      A feral bee cut-out or catching a swarm sound thrilling and wonderful
      to me. However, I'm a beginning beekeeper in a semi-urban area with
      lots of little kids and stupid dogs. I'm very, very happy with my
      quiet, gentle, little bees.

      Katy
    • Michael Vanecek
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8 9:44 PM
        As promised, I finally compiled my articles on my first honeybee cutout.
        I hope it helps. I probably did things wrong, but in the end, it turned
        out alright.

        I start off with an article laying out my preparation for the cutout.
        Other than the hive that I had built last year, I had to start from scratch:
        http://bees.taroandti.com/2008/05/07/first-honeybee-cutout-the-preparation/

        Next, I lay out the act of cutting the bees out of the wall:
        http://bees.taroandti.com/2008/05/08/first-honeybee-cutout-the-act/

        And finally, I tie up loose ends - putting the hive into it's new home:
        http://bees.taroandti.com/2008/05/08/first-honeybee-cutout-epilogue/

        This weekend I'm planning the first cracking open of the hive since I
        got the bees and will try to document it as well as I can.

        Be well,
        Mike

        --
        Zone 8, Texas
        http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...
        Message 3 of 9 , May 9 6:50 PM
          I wonder if some use white to locate the hives or to retard
          summer heat. Flat white tests show is as good as aluminum,
          unless it's optically polished.

          I am still thinking that 2" (1 1/2") lumber is my route...
          Or an inner 1/4" of styrofoam under a TBH cover.
          Still designing.

          As for sraying, walk by with a garden pump sprayer and just
          hit the corners once a year. The sides will get the overspray.
          Corners are end-grain.
          Then hit the weeds, if any. Then, go do your gunstock for fall.
          <W> Well, you might see a bear robbing your hive, and you
          might smell sweet too.
          BillSF9c

          >Anyway... give it ago on some of your hives. You hives will *look*
          more weathered, but I like the look of a hive that doesn't look
          sterile hospital white. I don't know that the bees care, but I feel
          like I am introducing less artificial things into their existence.

          -todd
        • Michael Vanecek
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10 4:25 PM
            After waiting a week or the bees to settle in, I went out there to have
            a look-see into the hive and straighten things up if they'd gotten off
            kilter. Even tho I was fully suited up, it was actually a very peaceful
            hive inspection. All those pictures of beekeepers surrounded by a cloud
            of bees while managing their Langstroth hives just didn't compare to
            perhaps a handful of flying bees in this top-bar hive inspection. Good
            for me, and good for the bees. They're doing great too:

            http://bees.taroandti.com/2008/05/10/first-hive-inspection/

            Be well,
            Mike

            --
            Zone 8, Texas
            http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...
            http://www.mjv.com/ Home...
          • Christy Hemenway
            Message 5 of 9 , May 11 3:54 AM
              Nice work, Michael!

              -- Christy Hemenway - Bath, Maine - Zone 5

              GOLD STAR HONEYBEES

              "It's not about the honey, Honey - it's about the Bees!"

              207-449-1121

              www.goldstarhoneybees.com

              Some great bee sites: www.biobees.com <http://www.biobees.com/> , and
              www.beeguardian.org <http://www.beeguardian.org/>

              "The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams." -- Henry David
              Thoreau

              http://bees. <http://bees.taroandti.com/2008/05/10/first-hive-inspection/>
              taroandti.com/2008/05/10/first-hive-inspection/

              Be well,
              Mike

              --
              Zone 8, Texas
              http://www.taroandt <http://www.taroandti.com/> i.com/ Exotic Plants and
              More...
              http://www.mjv. <http://www.mjv.com/> com/ Home...

            • Michael Vanecek
              Message 6 of 9 , May 12 12:42 PM
                The exterminator sprayed and caulked the bees entrance to the well
                pump-house, but it wasn't good enough. Three weeks later and my buddy
                revisited the well-house and the bees had found another entrance and
                were active. Which means the hive survived the extermination. Tough
                bees. I'm going to build a second top-bar hive lickity split and go get
                them bees. They know I want them so no more calls to the exterminator -
                they're as good as in my hive. I like rescuing bees...

                Be well,
                Mike

                --
                Zone 8, Texas
                http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...
                http://www.mjv.com/ Home...
              • wayi
                Message 7 of 9 , May 12 1:25 PM
                  HA, De BeeMonMike comeuth.

                  Wayi
                  P.S. Hi Mike: found you again. HeHe

                  > The exterminator sprayed and caulked the bees entrance to the well
                  > pump-house, but it wasn't good enough. Three weeks later and my buddy
                  > revisited the well-house and the bees had found another entrance and
                  > were active. Which means the hive survived the extermination. Tough
                  > bees. I'm going to build a second top-bar hive lickity split and go get
                  > them bees. They know I want them so no more calls to the exterminator -
                  > they're as good as in my hive. I like rescuing bees...
                  >
                  > Be well,
                  > Mike
                  >
                  > --
                  > Zone 8, Texas
                  > http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...
                  > http://www.mjv.com/ Home...

                  > --
                  > 8:07 AM

                • Michael Vanecek
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 12 1:36 PM
                    Hmmm, can one be stalked by a friend? :-)

                    Good to see you here. Lotsa good bee-people here.

                    Bee well,
                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 12 4:30 PM
                      I have a well-house cutout to prepare for. The lid comes off and I'll
                      have to get the hive from above. Getting the bees and queen from the
                      wall cutout was easy because they all went to the top and I just misted
                      with water then brushed them down into a waiting bucket to pour into the
                      hive. However these bees, once I remove the comb, will likely be tucked
                      away in a bottom corner. How hard is it to remove these guys? Will a
                      dust-pan and bee-brush work or should I use a bee vacuum? I'd really
                      like to get the queen because it makes getting the rest of the bees over
                      to the hive so much easier.

                      Be well,
                      Mike