Overly defensive bees

  • wilsonryanj
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2008
      I spoke about installing two nucs 1 week ago in a previous post. I
      checked on them for the 1st time yesterday. One seems pretty nice I
      was able to get inside and add more food without a problem.

      The other seems very defensive. I went to lift the lid and was
      immediately surrounded by angry bees. You know the angry buzzing vs
      the normal flying around. If I didn't have my veil on, I'd be in
      trouble. I had to walk away three times just trying to get the lid
      off and two bars open. I never was able to reach inside to add more
      food. I did see that there was plenty of honey available so I just
      put the top back on and left. Each time when I walked away about 5
      bees followed me and kept hitting my veil for about 50-60 feet.

      The two hives are about 6 feet apart and the defensive one was the 2nd
      one I checked. I did use a little smoke on both hives. Is this too
      early to tell the disposition of the hives? Is the defensive one a
      candidate for requeening? I have never requeened before and am not
      sure I could find the queen if I looked. Is this behavior normal?
      Was I just spoiled by last year's hive that I could walk right up to
      without a problem.

      Thanks,
      Ryan
    • Michael Vanecek
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2008
        Does anyone have this suit:
        https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=672

        Is that nylon strip that gets inserted around the bottom of the veil necessary? I tried it on without the strip installed and with my ball-cap on and the veil didn't even remotely get close to my face.

        Be well,
        Mike

        --
        Zone 8, Texas
        http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2008
          Hives get restless if there is no queen - I wonder if the queen is still
          alive in there?

          Be well,
          Mike

          --

          wilsonryanj wrote:
          > I spoke about installing two nucs 1 week ago in a previous post. I
          > checked on them for the 1st time yesterday. One seems pretty nice I
          > was able to get inside and add more food without a problem.
          >
          > The other seems very defensive. I went to lift the lid and was
          > immediately surrounded by angry bees. You know the angry buzzing vs
          > the normal flying around. If I didn't have my veil on, I'd be in
          > trouble. I had to walk away three times just trying to get the lid
          > off and two bars open. I never was able to reach inside to add more
          > food. I did see that there was plenty of honey available so I just
          > put the top back on and left. Each time when I walked away about 5
          > bees followed me and kept hitting my veil for about 50-60 feet.
          >
          > The two hives are about 6 feet apart and the defensive one was the 2nd
          > one I checked. I did use a little smoke on both hives. Is this too
          > early to tell the disposition of the hives? Is the defensive one a
          > candidate for requeening? I have never requeened before and am not
          > sure I could find the queen if I looked. Is this behavior normal?
          > Was I just spoiled by last year's hive that I could walk right up to
          > without a problem.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Ryan

        • wilsonryanj
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2008
            I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty sure there were eggs in the
            frame when I installed them. Will they be able to raise a new one if
            that is the case? How long would they stay in the hive if there isn't
            a queen, wouldn't they abandon the hive and move next door where there
            is a queen?

            Thanks,
            Ryan

            --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, Michael Vanecek <mike@...> wrote:

            > Hives get restless if there is no queen - I wonder if the queen is
            still
            > alive in there?
            >
            > Be well,
            > Mike

          • Michael Vanecek
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2008
              I think the brood will be a determining factor on whether they abscond
              or not. Hopefully they produce a new queen if the old one has indeed
              perished. I'd give it another looksee to confirm that. If there is a
              queen, they may just be a more aggressive strain and replacing the queen
              may be an option.

              Be well,
              Mike